Chapter 12✅

"I have some clients I'm seeing tomorrow who's files I need to go through and I need to shop online to find a dress for a fundraiser. I'm going to this week to raise money for a children's cancer charity. I'm sure you have some work you can catchup on, it will be nice to be in the same room in comfortable silence".

"Do you want me to come to the fundraiser with you, what day is it?"

"It's Tuesday at seven, you could come if you want I don't mind".

Stiles walk into the guest room and retrives her files then fires up her laptop and go through her calendar to see her appointments for the coming week. She replies to some emails then check on the financial side of her business. While Derek is typing away on his laptop she goes through her account. Stopping when she sees a big expenditure that she can't figure out what it is. There's a six thousand dollars invoice for furniture from a store she's knows she's never used. She's the only person authorise to use her business credit card for that much money. Her manager has a card that the minute she attempts to spend over a hundred dollars on it the bank calls her. Stiles tries to make sense of it but the numbers just wasn't adding up. She did have some accounting qualifications so she knew the numbers in front of her were right. It's just that the two entries to making the balance sheet add up shouldn't be there.

Derek sees her distress he comes over to her, "What's the matter you seem upset?"

"Six thousand dollars has been used on my work credit card but I've never shop at the store".

"Before we go any further let's get in touch with your bank and cancel the card and get a new one delivered. Are you sure you haven't just forgotten about going in the store. What about your work manager could she have made those charges?"

"No it's impossible there's a cap on how much she can spent on things for the office, photocopy paper and teabag and coffee don't cause this much".

As Stiles was upset her signing was becoming sloppy. She got in touch with the bank who confirmed the charges were made at one particular store. She explains she didn't make those charges and it's the first time she's seeing them. They cancelled her cards and tell her new ones will be sent to her house in couple days. She tell them not to bother she will go with another bank who will take notice of it's client's business spending six grand at a department store.

Stiles hangs up the phone and starts to cry Derek hugs her, "We'll find you another bank to do business with, I suggest if you do regular everyday banking with them to move that too".

She nods and wipes her eyes, "You're forgetting your friend, mate, soon to be boyfriend's family owns a brokerage firm and several banks. The money was charged this week so whosever splurged on your card will still be on CCTV".

"I'm going to call my uncle Peter he's an accountant amongst other things and have him look over your last six months worth's of statements is that okay?"

Stiles gives Derek the go ahead and he calls Peter then put a mug of peppermint tea in her hands. "Drink up, you should check your regular savings account as well. She does and finds that in the last three weeks six grand as disappeared as well. When Peter came over he went over both sets of accounts for her. "It's a good job you're someone who looks at your accountants regularly, you see this someone as set up a standing order for six grand to leave each account each week starting from this coming Thursday. I understand you use to share your home, is it possible that the bank statements and cards were seen by someone other than yourself first".

"Lydia you're telling me she did all this?"

"Could be but she had to have had help, your business cards would have needed to get in her hands somehow".