Chapter 31

Chapter 31

**

Sophia

After not being able to figure out who this mysterious person would be, I gave up and mentally thanked the person. Even though I had money to pay the hospital bills, I was secretly glad that someone else helped me with it. I would need the money to buy extra medicines and for other medical stuffs.

After spending the whole evening with Dad, Mom insisted that I go home since it's been a long day and that she would stay with him and call me if anything goes wrong. Reluctantly, I agreed and both Carol and I drove back to my place.

The entire drive I was silent and my mind was still stuck on what happened in the parking lot only a few hours ago. I was afraid and ashamed to face William after this. I have no idea how he would react when he sees me again. But I had to see him one last time since tomorrow I have to quit working for Wilson Company and move back to the Anderson work place. Dad had asked me to leave as soon as I agreed to marry Joseph and move to work for him again. I was sad, but I had to agree since I couldn't further damage his health for my selfishness. I just hope William understands my situation and good things end here rather than dragging any further.

I parked my car in the parking lot and got out of the car. I locked it behind me as soon as Carol was out and walked towards the building. We did not talk the whole night as I gave her few spare clothes and made something to eat. It was only when it was time for bed did Carol talk to me.

"Are you okay?" She asked softly from the other side of the bed. Since my back was facing her, I couldn't see her face.

"No." I replied as a tear dropped from my eyes. I heard some shuffling behind me before an arm wrapped around myself. Carol hugged me from behind as I let out few more tears.

"It's going to be okay." She soothened.

I cried the following hour until I couldn't. I closed my eyes from exhaustion and fatigue as the darkness took over me and I fell asleep.

**

The next morning I dropped Carol off at the hospital and left for work after meeting Dad. The doctor said he was stable and his health was slowly improving. Mom decided to stay with Dad the whole time while Carol would come and visit when she isn't in college. As for me, I was dreading to go to work today.

The entire ride to the Wilson building was nerve wrecking. My palm wouldn't stop sweating and my heart wouldn't stop beating fast. So when I walked up to the elevator to go to my floor, I bumped into Ethan.

"Good morning, Sophia." He greeted.

"Morning." I smiled, nervously at him. I looked up at him and observed him. There was nothing out of ordinary. His eyes held no judgement, nor any recognition. I came to a conclusion that William did not confront any of his brothers about what happened yesterday.

"William hasn't arrived yet." He informed.

I gave him a surprise look. "He has not?"

Ethan shook his head in denial. "He never came back home yesterday. I got a text from his friend saying that William was staying over with him."

"Oh."

My mind gave me multiple possibility of why William never went home last night. He was with his unknown friend whose name I have never heard before. I've worked with William for few months now and yet I have never heard him mention any friends. Was this friend a woman or a man? If it was a woman, did he spend the night with her? A bitter feeling spread through my stomach and my mood turned sour.