Chapter 35

Chapter 35

**

Sophia

"She is my fiancé."

As soon as those words left Joseph's mouth, I closed my eyes and waited. For what? I don't exactly know. Knowing William, I won't be getting any pleasant reaction. If anything, I fear his reaction the most.

"What?" I heard Candice ask in shock. She has been by William's side the entire evening. I wouldn't say I didn't feel the need to push her away from him and kiss him like never before just for her to know that he is off limits. But I could do none of that because I didn't have any rights to do so. "You must be joking."

"As a matter of fact, I'm not." Joseph said, smugly. I knew he was enjoying this. "You can ask her."

I could feel eyes on me. I could feel one particular eyes staring heatedly at me. I opened my eyes and connected with those hypnotizing eyes. As soon as our eyes met, realisation dawn on him. William let out a humourless chuckle. His face had a look of disbelief and betrayal. He turned his attention back to Joseph with a hard face.

"Congratulations. I hope you have a happy life together." He spoke in a hard voice. He didn't spare me a single glance as he grabbed Candice's hand and walked away. I see the man whose name I don't remember, walk with them. My eyes stayed glued on William's back hoping that he would just turn and look at me. If my eyes could tell him the truth.

"Oh!" Mr. Robert said, glancing at the retreating three figures. "I have a feeling that Mr. Wilson isn't that happy as he greeted."

"It's nothing like that." I found myself speaking. "I'm his secretary and we work closely. He must be surprised that I didn't inform him before and he had to find out like that." I felt Joseph squeeze my arm tightly, hurting me a little. But I didn't back down as I discreetly removed my arm from his hand.

Mr. Robert nodded his head in understanding. "Wilson's have always treated their employees with respect and always took an initiative to get to know them too. Considering you are his secretary, he would be a little upset. But I'm sure tomorrow at office you will receive a beautiful gift from him." He said with a chuckle.

That would never happen. Instead of a gift, I'll be receiving the torn contract of our agreement, officially being kicked out of the company.

"If you'll excuse us." Joseph said, before grabbing my arm and pulling me away.

Once we were at a safe distance from everyone, I pulled my arm away from him. "Let me go."

"What the bloody hell do you think you were doing out there?" He asked, angrily. A vein on his head popping out a little.

"I don't know what you are talking about." I answered back and made a move to leave, but he caught my arm and harshly pushed me back, twisting my ankle a little. A sting of pain shot up my leg. I ignored the pain and concentrated on the man in front of me.

"You think I'm bloody blind to not understand that you were defending your love interest out there." He hissed, his hands gripping my arm tightly.

"Let me go." I said, struggling against his hold. "You are hurting me."

"If you do this shit one more time, Sophia. I will tell your father about everything. I'll tell him how you love your boss–William, who is like the same rich men he hates the most. I would not be responsible for what happens to him next. It will be your fault." Joseph threatened, before letting me go and walking away.

I took a shaky breath as I looked at his back. My eyes roamed the hall to find a certain man, when I caught his eyes from the far end. It looks like he has been watching us for some time. I broke the contact and left for the washroom to fix myself.