Chapter 39

Chapter 39

**

Sophia

Just when I thought I am getting use to William's cold behaviour, he splashes me with surprises.

I cannot express the surprise I received when I got a call saying that my debt with the Anderson family has been laid off. My first thought automatically went to William because he is the only one I know who has the capacity to pay off my debts. I am very grateful that he pulled me out of this debt because I was tired of keeping up with Joseph. Now I had a free will. I could choose to not marry him. The only obstacle here would be my father.

"Sophia?" I heard a voice calling me and a waving hand in front of my face. I blinked and looked up at an amused Mia. I gave her a sheepish smile to which she shook her head, chuckling.

"Daydreaming about your handsome man?" She teased, setting her food on the table and taking a seating in front of me.

"I have no handsome man." I denied. My friends had no idea that I was betrothed to marry Joseph. They still tease me with William.

"Sure." She said in a sing-song tone.

Suddenly, there was a loud bang of something slamming on the table. Startled, both Mia and I looked up at a frustrated Jace and Emma. They threw themselves in their chair and let out a small groan.

"What's going on with you too?" Mia asked, looking at them strangely.

"It's not us." Jace grumbled.

"I don't know what happened, but the Wilson brothers have something crawling up their arses." Emma spat, angrily. I raised an eyebrow at them.

William was a little moody today so I made sure to stay clear of his way. Yesterday, he seem fine when I talked to him, but this morning he was angry and it was radiating off him. There were few employees who wanted to speak to him, but due to his yelling at one of them, I decided to stop the others from his wrath and reviewed the files myself.

"Did you not know that?" Jace asked me.

"As soon as he walked out of the elevator, I knew he was angry so I made sure not to cross his path," I answered, shrugging.

"Smart woman," Jace muttered. "I had some work with Nathan, but I heard him yelling at some poor girl so I decided to leave."

"But that does not stop there, does it?" Emma asked, letting out a sigh. "They have been rejecting all our work and asking us to do it all over again and not show us this 'crap' as they speak."

"I think you should be more careful," Mia said, looking over at me. "William has the worst anger."

"Don't I know." I muttered under my breath, but nodded at Mia.

The lunch was over and we went back to our work, more like Emma and Jace dragged themselves to their work.

Currently, I was standing outside William's office, thinking whether I should take a chance and talk to him or just leave him alone. But before I could get the courage to knock, a voice stopped me.

"I don't think you should go in there."

I quickly turned around to the said person and found myself staring at none other than Richard Wilson. My eyes widen and I stumbled a little.

"Careful." He said, his voice soft yet I could hear the hardness in them.

"Sorry." I muttered, looking down at my shoes. Richard Wilson always intimidated me. I hardly had any encounter with him but when I do, it's always scary.