CHAPTER 15

It is already three when I get ready to go to Sara and Adi's house.

"By Mumma. I will be back by seven," I kiss her cheek and take my sling bag.

"Enjoy with your friends and tell them that I said Hi," I wave at her before going out.

I pass a smile to the Sushma Aunty who lives beside us. She returns the smile forcefully as I have expected.

She has a conservative mentality, and from things I have noticed, she doesn't like modern thoughts which our culture is slowly but surely accepting it. And she doesn't like me as I mostly wear jeans and a top which is a big no-no from her.

I am not against conservative thoughts as sometimes, it is for our good, but sometimes, it is too much. It is high time that girls get an education and life freedom the same as boys get.

My grandparents are also traditional, but they are supporting me, accepting changes that are needed. They never had any problem when I talk about my higher studies and career moreover they are researching to help me ahead.

But some girls are not as lucky as me, and I am very well aware of that.

I recall the time when Mumma has come at home angry. Dad and I were watching the World cup final. We looked at Mumma, who is muttering something under her breath and then look at each other.

We both nod and got up to calm the volcano of my mother down.

"What happened?" Dad asked Mumma slowly.

"That Sushma ben is telling me that I shouldn't let Kiara go out with her friends wearing jeans. What does she think of herself?"

Dad sat beside her and said slowly, "Ignore her. You very well know what how these people are, so ignore her words and let it go."

"Not only us, but she has told Radhika Ben too. And I think she has also told other mothers who had a daughter in our colony. And when they ask for a reason, you know what she said?"

Dad and I raised our eyebrows, asking her to continue.

"She said that her daughter will also get influenced by this and will forget our tradition. But what about her son who was roaming around in the streets with his friends all day? Just two days before, he was teasing a girl. She never gave a thought to that just because he is a boy and is allowed to do whatever he wants. Only girls forget their culture or what?" Mumma huffed and crossed her arms.

Dad nodded thoughtfully, "I will talk to our secretary tomorrow. Don't worry and ignore her."

"And Kiara, you wear whatever you want. Don't let this affect you, ok?" I nod at Dad.

He kissed my forehead and moved to his room, talking something about completing a file before nine.

I smiled as Mumma also agrees and moves towards their room.

Coming back to the present, I look at Aunty who is looking at my clothes with a frown.

I was wearing denim, a t-shirt and a shrug. I hope Aunty never see me in a dress, or she will have a heart attack.

I look at her once and start walking towards Adi and Sara's home. As Jay and I had gone to their house to complete the project, I had memorised the way.

I ring the doorbell when I reach their house after a short walk.

Suhani Aunty opened the door and smile at me, "Kiara beta, come. Sara is waiting for you and Misha in her room."

I greet her and move towards Sara's room which is beside Adi's.

I pass by Adi's room, but he is not there. Maybe he had already gone with Jay.