Ch. 27: Working Together

George hissed softly as I rubbed gently between his shoulder blades. The knot in his muscles needs to come out already...

"Ah, careful that hurts!" George whined when I accidentally kneed him in the back of his thigh.

"Stop being such a baby." I teased, patting him on the back of the head.

His back was aching since he got pulled along with Wilbur to go do labor outside. I don't know how long he was out there; Arius did his best to distract me, and Tommy and Tubbo's mild chattering across the hall helped as well.

It was only when they were dragged back down that I learned that the "labor" was actually them meaninglessly moving heavy supplies back and forth. Seemingly for the amusement of the pillagers watching, instead of actual function.

But, true to their brutality, they smacked George around a bit too. Wilbur said they would get bored if George didn't show a reaction, so how long is it going to take them to stop?!

George sighed as I rubbed up and down his back on each side of his spine, melting beneath me. "You're sooo good at this." George praised as he reached a hand down for my knee beside his hip and squeezed.

"How is your...you know?" It was a bit awkward to ask, to ask how his newest hit from the guards was. Knowing George, he probably wouldn't have told me if I hadn't noticed he was limping when he came back.

"Fine." George answered shyly, so I left it at that and continued massaging his back for him.

"Hey, Princess." Ugh, I wish he'd stop calling me that. It's bad enough the boys do. "You know the Queen is more important than you, right?" Tommy teased me with the same joke from when we first started talking to them across the hall.

"I know, Tommy. You told me before. When I'm queen one day, I'll make sure to keep you as a chamber boy." I replied, laughing when I heard his outraged cry and the rapid firing of words that I couldn't understand with how fast he was talking.

"What would I be?" George asked as I kneaded gently at his shoulders.

"My knight." I leaned down and pressed a kiss to his exposed shoulder, chuckling softly against his shoulder at the sharp embarrassed yelp that earned.

"Sto—o—op!" George whined, burying his face in the sheets beneath him as I laid on top of him and laughed.

The comfort of his body against mine was welcome, it's the only way we've been able to sleep in here. Cuddled up like that first night, it helps forget the danger we're in for just a shirt while.

Plus, with how it's getting colder over time, sharing warmth is another plus.

"Are you cold?" George asked when I rolled off his back, pushing himself up onto his elbows to look over at me. "Come here." I squealed when he grabbed me and pulled me into a hug.

"Miss!" Tubbo called to us this time, the politest of the three boys and nicest as well. Well, Wilbur is nice. He's just sassy. Tommy's all bark and sass. "Can you tell us about the earpiece again?" Tubbo is also the most curios.

George whined when I tried to pull free, refusing to let me go. I threaded my hand into his hair, chuckling when he melted and relaxed under the drag of my fingers across his scalp. "When they bring me up next, I'll find a way to convince Keres to show me to the room. I'll get my earpiece and hide it on me before he brings me back. I'll try to get both, but not risk it if I don't have to." I repeated the plan we've made over the last day. Has it been a day?

I'm not sure, it's hard to tell time being plunged in darkness and torch light.

"Are you sure it'll reach them? We might be too far from them." Wilbur spoke up, and when I tilted my head and looked through the bars towards him, I barely saw him in the low light of their own cell. Leaning against the bars and fiddling with his hands.