Ch. 37: Opening Up

I watched the steady rise and fall of George's chest as he slept next to me. Listened to his rhythmic breathing, his hand on his chest rising and falling with each breath.

His other arm was laid under the pillow beneath my head, keeping me laying on my side facing him with his hand brushed against my back.

He's been peacefully out since he laid down. A long day, plus a long soak in the hot tub, seems to have given him a good sleep tonight.

I sighed, curling in closer to his side. At least he's not having another nightmare tonight...

I'm kind of afraid to sleep. Both because of my earlier talk with Dream, and all my confusions. Who's to say that I won't have nightmares, even with George sleeping right next to me?

"Um...I mean yeah..."

Dream's words reverberated in my head again.

"You did?"

"Yeah. Of course, when I heard what happened with you and Sap, and then you and George, how could I not?"

I closed my eyes and could almost see the uncomfortable look on Dream's face again. How he looked so embarrassed to talk about his personal thoughts with me.

"Do you not want to talk about this anymore? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"No, it's fine. I get your confused, it might help you work it out if you knew you weren't the only one."

"I'm not?"

Sleep started to pull at my overactive mind, trying to lure me away from replaying earlier behind my eyelids.

"Dream? Why are you confused? Didn't you regret what happened?"

"Kinda? Yes, because I hurt you, but no at the same time because..."

"Because?"

I had enough energy to mentally curse the loud crash that came from outside and ended our talk prematurely one more time before I finally drifted off to sleep.

The last thing I was aware of as I nuzzled my face against George's shoulder was the soft warmth of his arm pulling me closer.

Warm water lapped gently across my fingers, the rhythmic push and pull almost hypnotic.

I could lay here all day. Just watching the fish swim feet away happily, the smell of flowers and grass wafting over me as I laid in the patch of patted down grass.

I dragged my fingertips through the water below me once more, tempted to join the fish in the warm waters.

The warmth of an arm fell over my back, and I willingly leaned into him as he joined me in laying near the water's edge.

"How's the water feel?" I hummed softly as his breath ghosted the shell of my ear, sending chills down my spine as he easily pulled me into his hold.

"It feels almost good enough to swim in." I answered him, trying to crane my head to look back at him but instead he laid his chin on my shoulder and stopped me.

"Good enough to leave me?" His chest rumbled against my back as he leaned over me.

"Maybe you should join me, big guy." I offered instead, finally turning my head to look back at him as he pulled his face from my shoulder.

The smile of his mask stared back at me, pinned to the side of his face so he could show me his smile and adorable freckles that created a bridge over his nose.