Chapter 76

Tw for this chapter: Past self harm, referenced feeding tube, vague hospital mention, death and suicide attempt

When they finally arrived in California it was messy. First they had to get off the plane, then they had to make their way to baggage claim, then they had to wait for their bags to come around. After collecting all their bags, and Tubbo almost losing his backpack, they got a taxi and made their way to the hotel.

Despite most of them sleeping on the plane, as soon as they got to the hotel room Tubbo, Ranboo, and Tommy passed out on one big bed. There were enough beds for each of them to have their own, only two people were supposed to double up, but they all passed out in the same bed.

"Well, looks like they're out." Phil chuckled from an area that was a tiny living room. Wilbur nodded and sat down next to Phil. Techno stood near the door, his backpack still on and mask in his hand.

"I think I'm going to go for a walk." Techno stated and Phil gave him a soft look. "I'll be fine, just want to go down to the beach and back."

"Want one of us to go with you?" Wilbur asked but Techno shook his head. "Alright, call us if you need anything or if anything happens." He said but Techno was already halfway out the door. Both Phil and Wilbur shared a look, but they knew that this was important for Techno.

Techno pulled on his mask as soon as he stepped out into the hallway and adjusted his backpack straps. He walked over to the elevator and made his way out of the hotel. He walked onto the sidewalk and spotted the street sign that said "Beach" With an arrow pointing to the right.

Techno walked all the way to the beach, standing on the edge of it as he stared out at the ocean. The water was reflecting the sun, blinding Techno but he couldn't find himself to pull away from it. The way the waves moved like there was a hand pushing the water around.

He slipped off his shoes and made his way onto the sand, not knowing how to feel about the sand between his toes. He kept walking down the beach, ignoring the sound of kids screaming and loud music.

It felt like it was just him and the water.

He stepped to the water line and let the water wash over his feet, smiling at how cold it felt in comparison to the hot sand. He adjusted his backpack, the reminder of how bad things were, but ignored it just this once. In this moment the bad can't override the good.

There was suddenly a person next to him and Techno jumped slightly, until he saw it was Wilbur.

"You scared the shit out of me." Techno said and Wilbur chuckled a bit.

"I couldn't miss you reaching the ocean for the first time." Wilbur said while shrugging. Techno looked over at him, confused. "You talked about wanting to go to the ocean since we were kids, Tech. Well not kids but basically since we met."

"Shut up." Techno said, thinking about how 8 years ago he had rambled to Wilbur for hours about the beach. He wasn't even sure Wilbur was listening half the time. "How do you remember something from 8 years ago?"

"Well first off it's almost been 9, and second off that was one of the things you would just ramble about when I was having a bad night to distract me." Wilbur shrugged. Techno blinked a couple of times as water washed over their feet over and over again.

"It's been 9 years?" Techno wondered and Wilbur nodded as he stared out at the water in the distance.

"Yep, 9 years this June." Wilbur recalled.

"Well shit."

~~~

Tubbo walked down the hallway, trying to ignore how bright the lights were. He tried to blink a couple of times to get his eyes adjusted but there was no use. As he walked down the hall he heard crying, but for some reason he couldn't figure out who it was.