2

I'm settled into the bathtub, bubbles surrounding me with a glass of wine in my hand while I look out the window overlooking the park, trying to decompress from one of the most hectic weeks I've ever had.

On top of preparing for all of my meetings, managing the office, and trying to keep my relationship alive, I had to add interviews to the list. We're not dying without Allison, because she was never that much help anyway, but I don't want the rest of the team to have to tack more hours onto their already busy schedules to make sure things are done. That's not fair to them.

I hear the front door open and shut, before my name is being called down the hall.

"I'm in here!" I yell back, smiling when I hear Alex hurry down the hallway to me.

He stops in the doorway when he sees I'm in the tub and shrugs his suit jacket off, hanging it on the doorknob.

"This is just what I needed to come home to after such a long day." He smirks and unbuttons his shirt, slipping it off his shoulders, leaving him in a white undershirt and black slacks. He looks good, I'm not going to lie, but I feel deflated noticing the flutter in my heart is missing.

I beat that thought to the back of my mind and shift in the tub when he gets closer.

"What did you bring me for dinner?" I ask and stick my soapy foot out of the water and run it along the outside of his thigh when he sits on the edge next to me.

"Thai. It's on the counter." He says quickly, his eyes raking down my bubble covered body under the water.

"How was work?" I ask taking another sip of my wine, fully aware he does not care to talk at all right now. "You said you had a long day?"

"Work was work." He mumbles, not tearing his eyes from me as he runs his hand up my leg and down into the water.

His fingers glide along the inside of my thigh and I separate my legs a little more for him, but when his phone rings, we both freeze.

I groan in irritation and he chuckles annoyingly, reaching into his pocket. He looks at the screen before he answers and says, "Sorry, hon, I have to take this."

I squeeze my thighs together when he leaves, honestly wishing I felt more of an ache from the anticipation than I actually do. I chug the rest of my wine and pull the plug to drain the tub.

After I put a robe on and towel dry my hair, I head out to the kitchen. The smell of curry fills my senses and my stomach growls when I realize I haven't eaten since breakfast. I glance around, not seeing Alex anywhere, until I spot him through the window on the balcony, still on his phone.

I grab a blanket from the back of the couch and wrap it around myself before joining him outside. He looks back at me when the door opens and smiles quickly before turning back to lean against the railing.

"Right...well we have to do what we have to do." He says sternly into the phone. I haven't the slightest idea what he's talking about, but I'm here for moral support anyway.

I sit in one of the patio chairs and grab my cigarettes and green lighter from the table, tapping the box on the glass before I pull one out. I place it between my lips and shield the flame from the slight breeze with my hand, inhaling deeply when it lights.

Alex finishes his call and slips his phone back into his pocket, turning towards me. He sees the cigarette between my fingers as my hand hangs over my bent knee and frowns.

"I wish you'd quit." He mumbles, repeating the same thing I hear from him every other day. "Those things will kill you, you know."

"I know." I mutter back and smile at him. He steps toward me and bends down to kiss my cheek, pulling the blanket tighter around my shoulders before he steps back inside.