56

After saying absolutely nothing on the cab ride back to the hotel, and tension never seeming to cease rolling off of him, Harry pushes the front door open. It bangs against the wall from the force and I exhale a huge breath as I close it behind me.

I watch him shrug his jacket off his shoulders and toss it onto the island in a heap. He paces along the floor a few steps before he slams his hands on the counter top in frustration. My stomach drops a little seeing him so upset, but confusion fills me more than anything.

"Harry, what has gotten into you?" I ask and cross my arms over my chest.

"Are you kidding?" He scoffs before he turns around to face me. His face is flushed and his eyes are wild as he looks at me. I don't say anything and just raise an eyebrow at him.
"I thought it was him, Violet. I thought I could finally get my hands on the prick that's been stalking you for months."

"What were you going to do if it was? Kick his ass in the park? I don't see how that-"

"Let me finish." He snaps and I pull my bottom lip between my teeth.
"When I realized it was Marcus, I got angry for a whole different reason, and I wasn't about to let him get away with it either. You can be mad at me all you want, but I'm not apologizing."

"It's been a long time since I've seen you react like that." I say quietly, making him look up at me. A knowing look emerges on his face, both of us thinking about that god forsaken Halloween party where he fought with the last man who posed a threat to me.
"It's dangerous, Harry."

"You think I'm afraid of Marcus?" He scoffs. "Don't insult me, Violet."

"Okay-" I snort and wave my hand in the air, "I see your testosterone is still off the charts from the very manly bullfight you just had."
I say condescendingly and he levels his stare at me.
"Harry, people started to gather around. Marcus is a reporter. You really think picking a fight with him in broad daylight was the best idea?"

"I don't fucking care, Violet. I really don't." He huffs and I raise my eyebrows at him in surprise. "I'm not going to let people try to push you around- push us around. You shouldn't be afraid to walk down the street in the city you call home."

"I'm not afraid." I tell him honestly and he exhales heavily.

"Well then, I guess Marcus was right." He mumbles as I walk forward, closing the distance between us.
"I'm the one that's scared."

"Harry-"

"I've been going fucking crazy, Violet." He admits, frustration rolling off of him in waves. "Ever since you called me that day your apartment was broken into, I've been exhausting myself trying to figure out how to fix it for you. It kills me that I don't know how."

He sighs and drops his shoulders, like he's a little relieved to have said these words out loud. I, however, don't feel better at all.

"Why haven't you told me this?" I ask accusingly, and he raises his eyebrows at me, a visual representation of his guard going back up.
"Is this why you've been tossing and turning in bed ever since we got back?"

"Violet-"

"Why won't you talk to me about it?" I cut him off and I watch his shoulders tense again.

"I didn't want to give you my stress, or scare you any more than you already are."

"That's such bullshit, Harry." I snap back at him and he angles his head back from me a little, clearly taken by surprise at my attitude.
"You used to tell me that I didn't have to carry things all on my own. That it didn't make me brave to bottle it up. Well this doesn't make you brave, it's just you keeping more secrets from me."