13

I decided to cancel my regular Friday meeting with Phoebe, since I saw her yesterday, and take a long lunch instead to head across town to Alex's work.

When I walked in to Harry's office today and found another bouquet of roses on the desk, I knew I had to put an end to this sooner rather than later.

I honestly expected Alex and I to get married one day, but it wasn't until he actually got on one knee that I realized what my answer was. Nothing terrified me more than the thought of being in a loveless marriage and tied to his miserable family forever.

I push open the doors to the building and look at the directory next to the elevator to find his floor. I've only been here a handful of times, he always said he didn't like when I visited him at work. I find the floor number for Pearson-Chambers Law Firm and step into the elevator.

I'm aware that this is probably not the best time to end our relationship, while he's working, but at least we'll be alone in his private office. I won't put him on the spot in front of a hundred people I don't know and his parents. The elevator dings and I exit quickly, avoiding eye contact with everyone as I turn down the hall toward his office.

I pass one of his associates that I recognize from the holiday party last year and smile at him. He looks at me with wide eyes and I furrow my brows, a little taken back by his lack of greeting. He was so nice at the party.

I make it to the end of the hall and push open the big glass door, without knocking first, and step into his office. I freeze in my tracks and I feel all the color drain from my face when he comes into view.

Alex's secretary, who's name I don't remember, is sitting on top of his desk with her skirt hiked up and he's standing between her legs. Her hand is wrapped around his tie, pulling him into her as they kiss. They are so wrapped up in each other, his hands sliding up her thighs, that they don't even notice someone else in the room until the door swings shut behind me, making a clicking sound.

Alex's head whips in my direction and we lock eyes. His secretary gasps when she sees me and pushes him back, hopping off the desk to attempt to smooth her wrinkled skirt back down.

Out of the corner of my eye I spot a vase with freshly cut flowers in it, red roses, probably ones he bought for her when he ordered mine. Without another thought I pick up the vase and chuck it at him. He ducks just in time and it shatters against the wall behind him, water and glass exploding all over the place. The secretary screams and I turn around to reach for the door.

"Violet, wait-"

"Don't follow me." I snap at him, pull the door open, and hurry back through it.

I press the down button on the elevator a hundred times until it finally opens and I step inside, pressing the door close button to make sure he doesn't get in with me, just in case.

I practically sprint outside and whistle for a cab when I get to the curb. Luckily, one stops immediately and I get in. I give the driver the first address that comes to mind and he steps on it, tearing into the road, due to my frantic energy I'm sure.

Oh my god. Oh my god!

I run my hands over my face and lean my head back against the headrest, trying to wrap my mind around this.

The driver makes it back across town in record time and I hand him cash over the seat, a big tip included, before I get out. Everything is a blur as I enter the building and manage to press the correct buttons to get to the office floor.

I rush past everyone, not bothering to return any hellos or strange looks I get and slam the office door behind me when I enter through it. I throw my purse into the chair and rip my blazer off as heat crawls up my neck and the air gets squeezed out of my chest.