41

"Violet," Bobby says from the other side of the table after we finish eating, and I turn to look at him, "Harry showed me some of your work that you're doing for the hotel. It's brilliant."

I feel my face flush and my eyes flick to Harry for a second. He smiles proudly at me and pats my knee under the table.

"Thank you." I mumble and clear my throat. "I honestly thought I bombed the meeting, so I wasn't expecting to be hired for the job at all."

"I'm sure it was a shock to see his ugly mug across the table from you, huh?" Bobby chuckles and Harry exhales a laugh next to me as I smile.

"It was probably the most surreal moment of my life." I say honestly and Harry nods his head next to me, silently agreeing. "I basically blacked out and went on auto pilot the whole forty-five minutes. I can't tell you a single thing I said."

"Well, I'm just glad to see it's worked out." Bobby smiles and I smile back at him before I turn to Harry again.

"Yeah." I say quietly and bump my knee into his under the table. "Me too."

"Speaking of the hotel," Bobby says and stands up from his chair, "I have an idea that I need to show you, H."

"Aren't you supposed to be retired, old man?" Harry groans, but stands up to follow him anyway.

Anne chuckles watching them and I help her carry our dishes to the sink. We don't say much as she starts to wash the plates, and I dry them with a hand towel. I glance over my shoulder and see Harry and Bobby through the French doors of the office, both focused on the computer in front of them.

"Anne," I say quietly and she hums softly in response, "is Harry alright?" I ask hesitantly.

"What makes you think he's not, honey?" She responds, her tone a little guarded.

"When he came upstairs to get me after my shower, he looked like he had been crying." I say quietly, not wanting him to possibly hear me.

"Did you ask him?"

"I asked him if he was okay, but he told me not to worry about him."

"Which is impossible." She chuckles and I smile, nodding my head as I dry another dish she hands me.

"That's what I said."

"He's just worried about you, that's all." She says softly and my heart swells knowing he talked to his mom about me. "Are you staying here?" She asks when I don't respond.

"No, I have a hotel room." I say as I dry my hands and lean against the counter when we're finished with the dishes. "Which I don't think Harry is too pleased about."

"He'll be fine." She rolls her eyes and takes the towel from me to dry her own hands, before she hangs it on the hook. "You do whatever you need to do, sweetheart."

"Thanks, Anne." I smile at her and she smiles back, just as Harry and Bobby emerge from the office again.

"Alright?" Harry asks quietly as he approaches where I'm standing in the kitchen.

"Yeah." I smile up at him and place my hands on his chest when he wraps his arms around me. "Do you think you could take me to the hotel?"

"Sure, baby." He smiles softly, but it doesn't really meet his eyes. I know he wants me to stay, but he won't ask.

We say goodbye to Anne and Bobby, making plans for dinner later in the week, and Harry carries my bag from upstairs back out to the car. I sit in the passenger seat, waiting for him to get in, and exhale a massive breath as I stare up at the house.