36

I'm sitting at the kitchen island in Harry's apartment, swirling around what's left of the whiskey in my glass. I can't say I'm surprised that he wasn't here when I arrived, so I used the spare key Lynette gave me to let myself in. I've been sitting in my pajamas in the dark for the past hour, thinking about the phone call I got earlier today.

"Why are you calling me, Alex?" I mumble, irritated that I can't have a moment of peace on this godforsaken day.

"Your boyfriend paid me a visit this afternoon." He says flatly and I close my eyes, exhaling heavily. "I wanted to let you know that I took care of it."

"Took care of what?"

"The article." He says firmly. "They won't print any more."

"It was Vince, wasn't it?" I ask, even though I already know the answer.

"Yes." He says. "Your boyfriend, however, thought it was me, when that would be impossible because I didn't know about any of it."

"Thank you, Alex." I say sincerely. "I wish the damage wasn't already done, though."

"My father is a vindictive piece of shit." He states. "No matter what happened between us, you didn't deserve this."

"Thanks."

"Goodbye, Violet."

I hear a key rattle in the doorknob, breaking me out of my thoughts. I watch Harry push open the door, set something on the couch and walk right past me down the hall to his bedroom. He didn't even see me. Idiot.

I swirl the whiskey around again before I drink the rest of it and set the glass on the counter. I clasp my hands together on the marble and turn toward the living room when I hear his footsteps come back down the hall. His eyebrows are furrowed, like he's mad or upset, but the dim light doesn't let me see much else.

"Where have you been?" I break the silence and he whirls around to face me.

"Jesus Christ, Vi." Harry says, shocked, but his face relaxes in relief when his eyes land on me. "I've been calling you all fucking day."

"I turned my phone off." I say flatly. "Everyone I've ever met after I moved here wants to check up on me after seeing the article."

"That's sort of nice, right?" He asks hesitantly.

"I did answer one call today." I mumble and he raises his eyebrows at me. "Alex."

"Violet, listen-"

"Don't start with me, Harry." I cut him off and stand up from the stool at the counter. "I told you not to do anything stupid."

"What was I supposed to do?" He scoffs. "Let you sit in your office all day and hide? You and I both know whose fault it was that this even happened, so I went to fix it."

"I was going to handle it." I tell him through clenched teeth. "I figured it was Vince, and I planned on calling Alex myself. I didn't need you going down to his office and making even more of a scene!"

"He fixed it, though, didn't he?" Harry says coldly and I shake my head at him in disbelief.

He flips on the kitchen light and shrugs his suit jacket off to toss it onto the back of the couch. He walks over to me and grabs the empty whiskey glass and decanter from the counter to pour himself a drink. My stomach falls to my feet when I notice the bruise forming along his cheek and the cut on his lip.

"What happened to your face?" I ask lowly.

"You should see the other guy." He mumbles and takes a big swig of alcohol from the glass.