43

I cautiously open the door to my dad's shop, hoping I can sneak in before anyone sees me. The heavy door slams when it closes, working against me, and all of the men working inside turn their head to look at me. I freeze under their stare, but a smile finds its way onto my face when they start to greet me.

"Shh!" I hush them, laughing at the excited expressions on all their faces. "Mav doesn't know I'm here."

They nod their heads and turn back to their work stations, acting like nothing happened. I walk past them and can't stop myself from glancing over to Harry's old spot, which is obviously filled now, but my chest swells when I find the torn piece of tape that says H on it is still stuck to the wall.

I head back to the office and softly knock on the closed door. I hear my dad's gruff voice say come in and I take a deep breath before I push the door open.

"I'm pretty busy, so make it quick." He says, clearly thinking I'm one of the guys, since he doesn't even look up from the paperwork in front of him.

"Too busy for me?" I ask and smile when his head snaps up to look at me.

"Vile-" he chokes out before a laugh bubbles up from his chest. He stands up from the desk and I hurry to meet him in the middle of the floor.

He wraps me in a big bear hug and I snake my arms around his back and fist his shirt in my hands. I inhale the scent of his old cologne mixed with motor grease and laugh softly.

"Hi, dad." I say quietly, my words muffled against his chest, and tears well up in my eyes at how much I feel like a little girl again in my dad's arms.

"Hi, honey." He mumbles and kisses the top of my head before he lets me go. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" He asks and leans back against his desk.

"It was pretty last minute." I mutter and wring my hands together nervously. "Um- I came with Harry."

His eyes practically pop out of his head when he hears Harry's name leave my mouth. I try to fight off a smile emerging on my face, but when his eyes soften as he looks at me, I can't help it.

"I have so many questions." He chuckles, running his hand down his face.

"I know." I sigh and sit in the chair across from him. "It's a long story."

"I have time." He says immediately.

"I thought you said you were busy?" I challenge him and he smiles.

"I'm never too busy for my daughter." He says firmly and I feel a lump rise in my throat.

"I don't know where to start." I admit, chuckling nervously as I lean back in my seat.

"Does he make you happy, sweetheart?" He asks lowly and I feel my eyes start to well up again. I nod my head at him and bite the inside of my cheek.
"That's all that matters." He says firmly and I nod again. "Violet, that boy loves you. Even when things got rough for the two of you, he was always trying to put you first."

"I know." I whisper, my voice thick with emotion.

"Where is he anyway?" Dad asks, trying to change the subject, which I'm grateful for.

"He was taking his little sister to school, he'll be back." I hear a soft knock behind me and my dad's face lights up.

"Speak of the devil." He mumbles and I turn my head to look at the door.

I inhale sharply when it feels like all of the air is taken from my lungs as I look at Harry standing in the doorway. He must have went home to change before he came back, his usual black slacks and button up nowhere to be found. I rake my eyes down his body, absolutely eating him up as he stands there wearing a simple white T-shirt and somewhat dirty old jeans. My gaze lands on the old combat boots on his feet and my mouth drops open a little in surprise.