44

"Dad, what are you so nervous about?" I laugh softly, watching him straighten up the placemats on the table for the twentieth time as Harry and I watch him from the couch.

"I just- I want everything to be perfect." He mumbles and lights a candle for literally no reason.

"Doesn't she live with you?" I raise an eyebrow at him and Harry chuckles next to me. "She's been here before."

"Violet, shut up." Dad huffs and I roll my lips into my mouth to hold back a laugh at his frantic state. "This is a big deal for me."

"Sorry." I mumble and lean into Harry's side, leaving my dad to do whatever else he needs to do to feel ready for his girlfriend to come home.

"It's rather sweet, seeing him like this." Harry whispers into my ear.

"It really is." I smile and whip my head toward the front door when I hear a key being stuck in it.

"Shit." The woman entering the apartment mutters when she drops her purse on the floor, but manages to save the stack of files in her hand.

She starts to bend down to pick it up, but before she can, my dad already has it in his hand and is taking the stack of papers as well. She stands up straight, brushing her curly brown hair out of her face and smiles. I gasp loudly when I finally get a good look at her and everyone turns to look at me.

"Mrs. Smith?!" I say in disbelief and my mouth falls open at the sight of my old teacher.

"I told you to call me Angela when you graduated." She scolds me playfully and smiles.

I push off of the couch and hurry over to her. She pulls me in for a hug and a shocked laugh falls out of my mouth.

"It's so good to see you, Violet." She says softly and squeezes me tighter. "I'm so proud of you."

Her words make my stomach twist and I pull out of her embrace, not wanting to take my dad's moment and make it my own.

"Dad- what the fuck?" I laugh and turn to look at him.

"Surprise?" He says and shrugs his shoulders at me.

"How did this even happen?" I ask curiously.

"I was having some car trouble in the parking lot of the grocery store one day." Angela starts, and lets go of me to walk over to my dad. He wraps his arm around her shoulders and my chest swells seeing the smile on his face. "Maverick happened to be parked next to me, and very kindly offered to help."

"We started talking and went to dinner that night." Dad finishes the story and I watch Angela turn to look at him, nothing but love on her face. "We didn't even put together that you were our connection until the next morning."

"Oh, Jesus." I mutter and wave my hand in the air at him and Harry snorts out a laugh behind me. "Too much information, dad."
I feel a hand on my hip and turn to find Harry has gotten up from the couch and is standing next to me.
"Oh, I'm sorry-" I shake my head, trying to use my brain again after the shock of finding out my dad and old teacher are fucking, "Angela, this is my boyfriend, Harry."

Harry steps forward, holding his hand out to greet Angela. I roll my lips into my mouth and watch his face, waiting for what I just said to register. He freezes mid step and turns to look at me with wide eyes, and a dimple popping in his cheek. I nod my head at him softly and he breaks out into a full on grin.

"Oh, I remember you." Angela says and takes his hand to shake. "You're not easy to forget."

"Okay, easy." Dad says and Angela pulls her hand from Harry's and lightly smacks my dad's chest.