Book 3, Part 030 : The Merchant From The Depths

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

"Well, I think it's safe to say that everybody with an anemone stuck to their head gambled on Azul's contract and lost. The terms of said contract were apparently to score in the top fifty," Jack crossed his arms over his chest,"But with the sheer number of students signin' on, most of them never stood a chance at getting in at all. That was Azul's game from the start."

"I did find it odd that Grim managed to score over 80 on a test," Helia spoke up as he entered the lounge, carrying a tray of tea.

"I mean, c'mon!" Jack huffed,"If you're getting good graded over someone else's work, what does that even prove? You're throwin' away a perfectly good opportunity to show others what you're capable of. Frankly, you're cheating yourself."

You hummed, taking a sip of your tea. "There are no shortcuts in education,"

"If the rest of the student body were as principled and tedious.. I mean, as 'serious' as you, it would spare me such grief!" A new voice exclaimed.

"Afternoon, Headmage," you and Helia greeted, tone monotonous.

"Shall I prepare you a cup?" Helia questioned after.

Jack jumped back a bit in surprise. "Whoa! Headmage?! You startled me!"

Headmage Crowley sighed in defeat. "So transpires another year of me being unable to clamp down on Ashengrotto's little 'side business'.."

"And, no thank you, Prefect Helia," he quickly added.

Side business? You thought.

You quirked a brow. "I don't like how you worded that, Headmage,"

Helia hummed slowly in agreement. "Hm, what do you mean by that?"

"Azul Ashengrotto: Second Year. Housewarden of Octavinelle Dorm. Much like Mister Rosehearts, he is a highly capable student already running a dorm as a sophomore," the Headmage revealed.

"But.. he's a bit- no, I daresay quite a bit troublesome," he added.

"Are you talking about him swindling people? Seems to me like one word from the Headmage could put a stop to this whole thing," Jack said.

"Ah, but it is precisely because I am in a teaching position that I can not prohibit his actions,"

"Why not, Headmage?" You questioned.

"Here's the thing about Ashengrotto's study guides that he handed out to the students," Headmage Crowley frowned,"There was no illegitimate activity involved in their production. Nobody snuck looks at test questions or answers beforehand. It was crafted exhaustively by hand after researching the past century's worth of Night Raven College exam questions and their patterns,"