Book 5, Part 071 : A Beautiful Tyrant

❦︎ ❦︎ ❦︎ ❦︎

❦︎ ❦︎ ❦︎ ❦︎

Your eyes twitched, followed by your ears as a soft groan rumbled in your chest. With a hiss, you raised your hand to your temple and slowly peeled your eyes open.

Immediately, you noticed that everything was colored monochromatic, and instead of the Purple Stage, this new setting was a living area of sorts.

"Dad! Dad!"

Your ears twitched at the childlike voice, your gaze following the sound to the door, where a small boy resembling Vil had run in. He came to a stop in front of an older man—his father, you guessed— who was seated on one of the sofas, a newspaper in his hand.

The small boy grinned excitedly. "Dad! Dad! I passed the audition! I'm going to be in a musical school drama!"

You couldn't help but feel your lips twitched upward, his excitement affecting you as well.

"Congratulations, Vil! What are you playing this time?" His father inquired.

"Oh, the star... well," Vil's lips twitched a bit, the excitement not as palpable in his eyes,"The star's rival. It's another mean villain."

His father hummed. "The director's got smarts, picking the cutest boy in the world as his villain."

"I was a villain bullying the hero in the last play I was in, too!" Vil huffed and pouted, crossing his arms over his chest,"Why do I keep getting picked to play the bad guy? Do I really look that mean?"

"Oh," his father shook his head,"Far from it. I think it's because you're an exceptionally beautiful, charming boy."

"Stories wouldn't have any dramatic flair without villains. They're an essential, special part of any production. Sometimes, productions are more selective about their villain casting than their hero casting. You should be proud." He explained.

Vil averted his gaze to the side, deep in thought, and as the moments passed, his pout slowly away.

Slowly, he hummed and nodded. "Mm. I get it, Dad."

"But..."

From your peripherals, you spotted a new figure—Vil, dressed in his Pomefiore Dorm uniform with his arms crossed over his chest, staring at the scene indifferently.

"Villians never stay on stage for the whole play. Once their role is finished, all they do is watch from the shadows as the happy ending plays out."

A small twinge in his jaw—had you been a human, you wouldn't have noticed it.

"What I want is to stay on the stage longer than anyone else."