Thirty nine° Ranks

"Fuck no!"

Yoongi laughs humorlessly, making Jimin groan.

"Why? It's only for a week!"

"Jimin, it's already been shit for two days. Ain't no way I'm waiting another week." Yoongi crosses his arms.

Jimin sighs. "You know I can do this if I want to. I don't need your permission." His tone visibly changes.

Yoongi unbelievably scoffs. "What? I thought we were together."

"But you don't want to leave me with her for another week," Jimin says like it's no big deal.

"You've changed."

The younger lets out another sigh. "I'm sorry. But I promise this is the last time we'll be apart." He looks up at him, forcing them to have eye contact.

"You promised you'll never leave me," Yoongi mumbles in an attempt to remind Jimin.

"And I won't. This is all for the plan. I'm not actually leaving you." Jimin says sincerely.

Although, Yoongi knows it's not the same sincerity he had before.

They stay silent. Yoongi knows that Jimin is waiting for him to say something. But he doesn't know what to say.

Ever since Jimin "discovered" his "powers", and acknowledged his abilities, he's been different.

He seems fearless, which in any other situation Yoongi would be happy for him.

He also seems distant.

The pair used to spend so much time together that they'd have piles of homework and other chores screaming at them for attention.

But Jimin is too dedicated to his plan that Yoongi barely sees him anymore.

"Do whatever you want, Jimin." Yoongi simply says before leaving without a last look at Jimin.

Jimin doesn't bother to go after him. He knows what he's doing, and he knows it's all for Yoongi.

-

The secrets Jimin manages to get out of Dahyun in such a short period of time are just pathetic.

Dahyun is a very trusting person. She is either that, or she was madly in love with Jimin that she didn't care if she spills all her secrets to him.

What she doesn't take into consideration, is the fact that Jimin can snitch on her if he wants to.

A few days back, she told Jimin about her plan of cheating on the mock exams. Jimin knew he could find something on her.

He listened to her go on all the steps she has to do because apparently, she didn't study a single word.

Considering how important these exams are (as they decide whether you will be staying in the school or not), Jimin thought she was either bold or stupid to depend on some cheat plan.

Nonetheless, he encouraged her and told her it was a great idea. The girl didn't once doubt Jimin, which was her biggest mistake.

The mock exams are tomorrow, that's why Yoongi has been busy. He was so caught up with Jimin that he thinks he doesn't study as great as he used to.

But he manages to keep up. He knows he's ready for tomorrow.

All he has to do was keep his rank as number one. Just like it has been for the past school years.

The ranks go all the way down to 178. All the students that won't make it on the list, will be kicked out of school.

However, Yoongi is confident in himself.

The next day, Yoongi takes steady breaths as he heads to his class, all eyes on him, students whispering about him and assuming he'll be first again.

The brunette sits down in his assigned seat. He looks around, everyone is looking anxious.

Yoongi closes his eyes as the teachers distribute the papers, his hands shaking as he got his.

-

Screams and cheers are heard in the hallways while a ridiculous number of students rush to join the crowd.

"The ranks are here!" One yells.

It's a few days later and everyone is scared yet excited to see how they did on the exams.

Yoongi frowns at the small gasps and stares in his direction as he proudly squishes his way between everyone and toward the list.

His eyes immediately land on the first rank, his heart dropping when he doesn't see his name. Scanning the next rank, a wave of relief rushes over him as he reads his name.

2nd. Min Yun Ki.

His eyes unknowingly travel back to the first name, anger taking over him as he wonders who would top him.

1st. Kim Dah Yun.

His eyes slightly widen in confusion right as he feels someone lightly bump into him.

Beside him are Dahyun and Jimin. The blonde smiles widely when he sees his ranking.

3rd. Park Ji Min.

The two boys make eye contact, Yoongi having no reaction while Jimin smiling softly at him. "Tomorrow." He mouths.

"Oh my god! I can't believe I'm first!" An ear-piercing high-pitched voice makes Yoongi question his existence.

Dahyun claps her hands excitedly as everyone congratulates and cheers for her.

"Thank you so much!"

"You did great, Dahyunnie." Jimin congratulates her, side-hugging her.

"Ugh, I worked so hard for this. I'm happy to know all my hard studying paid off!"