Aphrodite's Package

.
~I peel a single petal from the flower, a frown on my lips. You professed your love. And I couldn't bring myself to agree. I twirl the flower in my hand, wishing Cupid never shot you. I denied you my heart, and you let it be. I feel myself drowning, not able to swim in this sea of petals. I don't dare utter a word of sorrow, for your pain must be far worse than my own. Sorry I can never love you back~
.

༺♥༻

Hera's Pov:

When matters like this are presented, I'm afraid to crumble under pressure.

The light in the throne room illuminates the girl in front of me. She stands unusually tall, eyes on mine. She holds an air of authority, despite our very different positions.

I can't find it in myself to care. Even if it's beyond disrespectful to speak to me the way she has been.

I'm a bit bashful, was it wrong of me to label myself as her mother? How embarrassing...

Still, I can't deny the fact that I am this figure in her life. There's no reason to feel embarrassed, I hope.

I don't back down, my chin is jutted out. "Then I suppose this cuts our conversation short." Whatever I use to hold myself together must be some type of iron will, I'm beyond exhausted with this girl.

Well, with just about everything to be completely honest.

Not to mention whoever is snooping around that corner. Let the person listen, they are not sneaky whatsoever. And it's not like I'm saying anything wrong, I only wanted this moment to be private. I suppose not.

"you don't need me." My voice choked. "And I don't need you."

Lydia's nostrils flared, anger clear on her face. Her mouth opens to give some kind of retort, before anything gets out I simply clap my hands.

In an instant, Lydia is gone from where she stands.

Great—just what I wanted—an angry exit.

From the corners of my eyes, I look to the corner in the room where the guest lies. The person is now gone, out of my way.

My eyes averted back to where Lydia once stood. That girl...she's nothing but a brat.

Moisture fills my eyes against my will.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. Looking up I take a deep breath. One, two...three. And in a flash, I'm back to my usual self. All bad emotions leaving my face.

How easy it is to fake being happy.

———(the next moring)———

I rise from my bed in a rush, my morning routine done on autopilot. Once jolted up I threw on clothes, not bothering with much else besides running a comb through my hair. I take a glance in the mirror, my eyes go wide momentarily at the stress lines on my face.

I look old.

With a quick sigh, I'm already out my door, not a moment to waste. As soon as I'm out I'm greeted with the morning sun. It's dim and half the sky is still cloaked in black. Pausing for a moment I soak it in, allowing myself a breather before the day shall begin.

I nearly jump when I hear a call, "Ma'am?"

My head whirls around and I see a servant girl, Lilly, I realize to my relief. "Oh dear, you frightened me." A smile is placed on me, though it quickly disappears with the memories of what I'd done yesterday.