Chapter 38

It was noon now and Kushina decided that we would take a break since we needed our full strength to continue. Guy was doing five-hundred push-ups, Kushina was making some soup at the fire, Asuma was handing a rice ball to each of us, Obito was glaring at Ryota, Ryota was smirking at Obito, and Satoru was reading over some paperwork.

I was just giving all of us fresh water.

I sat down next to Obito once I was done and looked over at him. "Are you alright?"

I suspected a reason why Obito was bothered.

"Yeah, I'm terrific," Obito replied sarcastically.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him, hoping that he would.

I wanted to confirm whether I was right about him being upset or wrong.

"No, it's okay," Obito shook his head. "Let's start eating our lunch now. I'm starving,"

He took a bite of the riceball that Asuma handed to us and Kushina handed us all soup. I thought the soup was actually pretty good, but Ryota started complaining.

"What is this?" He put the cup of soup down. "Can't you give us something better?"

Obito rolled his eyes. "It's all we have for now. You either eat that or you're going to go hungry. Also, I'd be careful if I were you or Kushina-Sensei might get angry,"

Obito narrowed his onyx eyes at Ryota.

I was nervous now that Obito mentioned Kushina. I know how hot-headed she is and I looked over at her. She was ignoring his complaining and didn't say anything. I guess she can control that temper when she needs to. I was glad she was controlling it too because I didn't want to witness an angry Kushina again.

Ryota's baby blue eyes narrowed back at Obito. He threw the rice ball and soup onto the ground.

"I'm going hungry then,"

Obito scoffed and looked away. I patted his back in a soothing manner and saw Ryota staring with envy.

Kushina tried to break the tension. "Let's get going now. There's no doubt an enemy will catch up to us if we keep lingering around here,"

"Right," Asuma agreed.

He finished eating and walked away from the area. I assumed that he was going to go smoke another cigarette or something. He was quieter than usual.

I finished eating and we all cleaned up. I walked over to the creek to splash some water on my face and run it through my hair so I could freshen up a little. I didn't realize that someone was behind me and I jumped, but then relaxed seeing it was Asuma.

I put my hand over my racing heart. "Damnit, Asuma. Don't do that!"

He still looked serious and took a puff of his cigarette. This wasn't like him.

"Sorry, but I just needed to ask you something,"

"Okay, what is it?" I ask.

"Do you have the feeling that something is following us? I've had this feeling after we met up with King Satoru and Prince Ryota. I'm guessing whoever is following is after them," Asuma asked.

"I haven't noticed, but I think you should tell Kushina-Sensei. She may feel that way too because she's quieter than usual and she didn't snap at Ryota for complaining about her food. That's usually not like her," I replied.

"Maybe. She's probably showing respect too," He shrugged. "I'll go let her know though. Stay on guard and go let Guy and Obito know as well. I think this person may be powerful,"