Prepared

The first strike was quick. Almost a blur, but your eyes were sharp from your time as Red Ember. The blow was heavy to your arm, but the blood inside of your veins thickened and heated up. Your skin may of been split open, but no blood came out. It just healed itself. You stood up from your squatting position, but immediately stumbled back. Vertigo.

"Shit!" You cursed, falling to your butt. Your face blanched. Sylvia took this advantage and jumped on top of you, jamming an arrow through your hand. Compared to what you were feeling internally, the pain of your palm being impaled was close to nothing.

"You're unlocking new abilities, Y/n," she said, her face mere inches from yours. "But you don't know how to control them. That's bad, you know." Your lip was raised in a snarl, though you didn't know it. The red ring appeared again. Red blood shot out of your chest like a spike. Sylvia reacted before that, and jumped away in time. You reached over and ripped the arrow from your hand before you sat up. Deep, slow breaths left your mouth, your face slowly returning to its normal complexion. The blood splattered to the ground in front of you.

'It's been a while since I've used this... great, I am rusty. Annoying shit.' You thought, a scowl on your face representing what you were feeling. The smug smirk that was present on her face only made your blood boil. Literally. Your skin began to turn light red, and steam. You almost looked like a titan.

"I feel as if you don't even know how you're doing that," she said, noticing you slowly moving to your knees.

"You're not that far off," you replied, taking a deep breath before sighing slowly. You stood up, your head feeling better. "What is it you want? Kenny isn't attacking right now. Why are you here?" You were stalling for time. You were not feeling 100%. Not yet.

"I told you, Kenny's only a partner. Not my boss. He doesn't control what I do, though I know he wants to," she replied, reaching behind her and pulling an arrow from the quiver.

"You... when did you upgrade your weapon?" You questioned, noticing the arrow was different in appearance.

"It didn't take long. Honestly, I expected it to take at least a week, but the Boss has good connections." She shrugged lightly, pulling the bowstring back. You waited. The slightest shift of her fingers, and you already reactivated your eye. You deflected the arrow with your sword, sending it flying to the side. A barrage of arrows headed your way, but you defended yourself against them, running towards Sylvia. When she knew the arrows wouldn't be enough, she struck first. It was dark, even for you. There was no moonlight, no torch light. You were fighting with instincts and senses.

"You're a heavy hitter!" She exclaimed, aiming her leg at your face. You blocked it with your arm before wrapping it around and throwing her over your shoulder. She landed on her back, a sharp gasp leaving her mouth. You jumped away from her after. She laid on the ground, her breathing raspy and labored. She made no move to get up.

'Is she having an asmtha attack or something? I didn't throw her that hard.' You thought. Crimson was coughed out of her mouth. Your brows furrowed in confusion.

'Is she choking on her own blood?' You thought.

"No, she's ill," a new voice interrupted your thoughts. Your head snapped to the side and a familiar redette was suddenly standing next to you.

"When did you get here?" You asked.

"I've been here the whole time. I was just waiting," she replied, "Sylvia Haun has a disease that slowly shuts down the internal organs. It's terminal. There's no cure. She will die at some point." As much as you tried to hide it, she didn't miss the way you attempted to calm your breathing. You looked tired. You felt tired.