Endless

Levi grabbed the green book and Hanji grabbed one of the cloths that lined between them. She held it up to her nose.

"It smells like peppermint oil and charcoal," she said, "Were these treated to keep moisture and bugs away?"

"We were looking for something... and these must be it," Levi said, placing the book down on the desk. Eren put his hand on the front cover.

"I wonder what it was my dad wanted to show me," he said.

"Looks like we're about to find out," you commented. Mikasa also placed her hand on the cover. After the two exchanged a look, they opened the book together. On the inside of the page, a picture was wedged. It was of a younger Grisha, another woman, and a young child.

"Call me stupid, but that doesn't look like Eren's family," you spoke dryly. Eren removed the picture from the book and looked at it.

"This is... a portrait?" He said questioningly.

"Let me see that," Hanji reached for it and Eren handed it off to her. She looked at it. "No, it's far too detailed for this to be drawn by a person." Mikasa pointed to the back of the photo.

"That's Dr. Jaeger's writing," she said. Hanji flipped it to read it.

"This is no illustration. Instead, this uses light reflected off a subject... and burns the image on a special paper. It's called a photograph. I come from a place outside the walls where humanity lives in elegance. Humanity has not perished. I pray the person who finds this book is a fellow patriot," she read. You put the pieces together.

"So what Grisha was saying..." You trailed off, "Is that there is another place outside the walls where humans reside."

~
Word of your return spread to the Walls. It was after sunrise when all of you made it to the top of Wall Rose. Almost everyone was out in the streets, cheering for all of you, pieces of paper thrown into the air as confetti. You, Levi, Hanji, Eren, and Mikasa stood nearer the edge of the wall.

"Welcome home, I guess," you said blandly, "Would anyone like tea?"

"Since when did you get a sense of humor?" Hanji asked with an uneasy smirk.

"Since being with you people."

~
Mikasa and Eren were sent to disciplinary for defying Hanji and Levi. Armin was there with them for a majority of the time. You believed they had twenty days, but it was cut short ten. Historia had visited Trost, and requested an audience. You, Levi, Hanji, and Armin went down to where Mikasa and Eren were being kept. The three of them wore their Survey Corps trench coats. You didn't wear one. Now that you thought about it, you weren't an official member of the Survey Corps.

When the four of you got to Eren's cell, he was spaced out, seemingly talking to himself and focusing on other things.

"What are you doing?" Hanji asked. She then leaned against the wall and did exactly what Eren did. "The Attack Titan.' Didn't you just do that?" Levi took a key out of his pocket and unlocked the giant padlock.

"No..." Eren quietly replied.

"Huh?! He did that, right? Didn't you three see it just now?"

"Yeah, but that was..." Armin trailed off.

"See?! What was that all about, Eren?"

"No, it's nothing."

"It's the name of your titan, isn't it? What are you doing talking to yourself?"

"Enough, Hanji. He's fifteen years old. Everyone goes through a phase," Levi said.

"Huh? What kind of phase are we talking about?" Hanji inquired.