49| Step one

A knock was at the door which interrupted the conversation.

Levi tilted his head. "It's Hanji, come in"

the door opened, "Hello- oh commander pixis" she salutes.

As she entered the room, Connie followed behind her.

"Introduce yourself" hanji spoke

Connie saluted. "Connie Springer sir, 104th cadet core"

"Connie here is from Ragako village commander, we believe that he has some useful information about it"

"ah yes, the village that the titan attack started am I correct?" pixis asked

Connie nodded, "Connie here has some, to what I believe, valuable information. It brings further credibility to that hypothesis" Hanji explains

"From what we have discovered, the titans that caused these problems were in fact... humans themselves" Hanji announced.

I could feel the tension in the room increase rapidly. Is she saying what I think she is?

It took a short second for it to sink in for everyone else.

"wait. Are you saying that the titans responsible for this were the citizens of Ragako themselves?" Pixis asked

"So in other words.. the true identity of the titans is..humans?" Erwin spoke taking in the information. I felt Levi's grip tighter on my hand. I look over to him to see his eyes widened. The realisation had just hit him.

I gently squeeze his hand back in reassurance and he looked at me.

"We don't have specifics yet.." Hanji answered. I si

"So you're telling me that all this time I've spent the energy on, were humans?" Levi asked from beside me.

I could hear the distress in his voice, he was feeling guilty with himself again.

-

We all tried to process the information that we had just received. Once Hanji and Connie had left, Levi spoke up.

"Hey. Erwin, why the hell are you smiling?" Levi stared at the man with concern practically glowing in his eyes

"it's nothing really, it's just that. After all of this, we've finally taken one more step towards the truth" he answered.

I lean back into the chair. "One step huh? This rate we won't have anyone left" I sigh

We all sat there in silence for a small while longer, until I remembered I needed to check on Eren. The kid has been through so much, need to be a good sister and be for him.

I stood up and removed my hand from Levi's, I already missed the warmth but I needed to go. He seemed a bit disappointed when I pulled my hand away.

"I'm glad that your feeling better Erwin, if you don't mind I'm going to go check on my brother" I say. Erwin nodded, I salute and exit the room and make my way towards where Eren was.

I noticed that he was in the corridor with Jean and Armin, talking about something, I could only guess that it was about the rescue mission.

The three notice my presence and I madly smile at them. "Want to talk for a bit lil bro?" I ask Eren

"yeah" he said whilst playing with his hair nervously.

We walked back to my dorm due to I knew that Hanji wouldn't be there at this time and we didn't want any distractions right now. "So, how are you feeling?" I ask sitting down on my bed.