Chapter 1: The First Day

(3rd Person's POV)

"You must kill someone if you want to leave"

Those words from Monokuma made the students' minds freeze with terror and fear. They could feel a paralyzing fear slowly making its way through their body, dominating every last nerve. The air hung heavy on them, pressing down like a weight around their neck. It took everything they had just to endure that weight...

But...as heavy as the air felt...all it took to pierce it was her sharp words.

"So? What are you going to do now? Just stand around glaring at each other?" Kyoko rhetorically asked. Her pointed comment was directed towards everyone in the room. It helped pull them back to reality.

"R-Right... She's right!" Taka exclaimed. "Sometimes, even if you're nervous or afraid, you just have to step forward! To forget such a simple fact... I can't forgive myself. I'm so ashamed! Please, someone hit me! I can't forgive myself! Somebody hit me! Punish me!" He begged.

"Okay." Sora said as she lightly punched Taka in the gut.

"Ooof!" He grunted.

"Shirayuki!" Makoto gasped.

"What? He asked for it." Sora turned around with an unapologetic look.

"Th-Thank you, Shirayuki!" Taka breathed out.

"Jesus. If you have time to yell about it, you have time to DO something about it." Mondo said.

"Perhaps, but...what is the mission, exactly?" Hifumi asked.

"Idiot!" Leon yelled. "To look for a way out, duh!"

"And we totally need to find out whoever was controlling that stupid bear and beat the hell out of 'em." Junko suggested as she let out a growl.

"...B-But before we do all that, maybe we should take a look at the handbook..." Chihiro spoke up. "It's probably best to check out the school regulations Monokuma mentioned before doing anything else."

"True." Celeste nodded. "If we stumble around with no clue what the rules are, something like that might happen again..." She said, taking a glance at Mondo.

"Shit..." Mondo cursed under his breath.

"Fine. Then let's hurry up and check out the stupid rules already." Junko said.

After turning on her E-Handbook, the first thing that appeared was Sora's name. Just like Monokuma said, the owner's name showed up front and center. Then, from the Main Menu that popped up, she selected the School Regulations icon.

An itemized list appears on-screen. It was the school regulations. In other words, the rules being imposed on them all.

---

1. Students may reside only within the school. Leaving campus is an unacceptable use of time.
2. "Nighttime" is from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Some areas are off-limits at night, so please exercise caution.
3. Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.
4. With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.
5. Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is destruction of surveillance cameras.
6. Anyone who kills a fellow student and becomes "blackened" will graduate, unless they are discovered.
7. Additional school regulations may be added as necessary.

---

Sora's face stayed the same. Apart from the 3rd rule, she didn't have any particular problems with the regulations. They seemed...fair.