Chapter 45.5: The Distant, Despair-Filled Past

(3rd Person's POV)

6 Months Before the Killing Game....

The entirety of Japan was chaos. Multitudes of people were out causing senseless violence, mayhem and destruction, which had become the daily norm. The state of the country was so bad that somehow the atmosphere turned the sky from peaceful blue to blood red.

And in the center of all this anarchy was Hope's Peak Academy. Despite the entire world being thrown into chaos and many establishments looked to be on the verge of collapsing, the academy seemed to look just fine, being in the same state that it was before all this began. 

On the roof of the prestigious academy was a young woman. She was a short and pale-skinned woman with a curvaceous build, bearing an... above-average chest and a sizable rear. Her facial structure and skin was very soft and smooth, as if she took a lot of time taking care of it, along with rose red cheeks, which makes it look like she's always blushing.

She had messy and unkempt golden blonde hair, which reached to her buttocks. She had light blue eyes and an ahoge in the shape of a question mark. She wore a white t-shirt, covered by a light blue sweater vest, along with a grey wrist-length glove on her left hand, a dark brown skirt with yellow stripes, beige-colored stockings and cyan blue Mary Janes.

The blonde sighed while sitting on the edge of the roof. "Good grief... So this is what the world has come to... Nothing but senseless violence and destruction."

"What are you doing out here?" An emotionless voice said as the blonde turned around to see a tall young man with crimson red eyes and unnaturally long black hair that reached his feet.

The blonde's bored expression didn't falter as she stared at him. "Oh, Izuru Kamakura. Have you been there the entire time? How'd I not notice you...?"

"Stealth is one of my many talents. You, of all people, should know this." The man, apparently named Izuru Kamakura, responded.

The blonde let out a sardonic chuckle. "I was being sarcastic. What, did the scientists not implement you with the Ultimate Sarcasm Detector?"

"...That talent does not exist."

"...Guess that answers my question." The blonde rolled her eyes before turning her head and looked forward, watching the ruined world. "So...this is a world that's fallen to despair. The majority of the population has turned into violent, sadomasochistic animals. It's a dog-eat-dog world..." She made a small frown. "Japan is in utter ruins, and the entire Earth will follow in its place. My upperclassmen are really something special..."

"Speaking of which..." Izuru approached her, standing next to her. "Why aren't you joining them in causing despair? ...Though, I suppose it makes sense. Your situation is quite different than theirs..."

 "Oh?" The blonde looked intrigued. "Is Izuru Kamakura actually...confused about something?"

"No." Izuru shook his head. "I already know the answer. I just want to hear it from you."

The blonde let out a sigh. "Who knows...? Even after she showed me that "video", I'm still the same as I've ever been. It's only after she gave me that ultimatum that I agreed to join her. I may not take part of the activities of the other Despairs, but I don't exactly have a problem with it, either..."

"What are you saying?" Izuru asked.

"I'm saying that...I'm bored. Bored of this destructive, despair-filled world." The blonde closed her eyes, pursing her lips. "It's strange. I have the same ability she does, yet I don't have the same fetishistic obsession with despair like she does..."