Chapter 36: Eternal Despair

(3rd Person's POV)

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!?!?" 

Hiro's yell echoed throughout the data room as the students laid their eyes on the now-functioning Monokuma.

"Gyaahaha! Been a while, ya friggin' bastards!" The bear cackled.

"M-Monokuma!?" Makoto stuttered in fear.

"How...? You're supposed to be d-dead!" Toko shouted, completely baffled.

Sora narrowed her eyes as she folded her arms. "I knew it..."

"Gyaaahahaha! Me, dead!? Don't be freakin' stupid!" Monokuma mocked with another maniacal laugh.

"Hey, you're actin' kinda strange! Something seems...different." Hiro fearfully muttered.

Monokuma chuckled. "Of course I'm different! Evolution is perfectly natural! After all, I've been hibernating for two years already..."

"Not even! It's been like half a day at MOST!" Hiro exclaimed.

"How are you alive again!?" Hina asked, her eyes honed in on the bear.

"Oh yeah, that's it. Puhuhu..." Monokuma giggled. "The look on your faces right now is sublime! That's what I wanted to see--the moment you went from hope to despair..."

Byakuya clenched hist fist, glaring at Monokuma. "Don't tell me you pretended to be dead, all for this moment...?"

"Why would a bear pretend to be dead? You're the ones who should pretend to be dead when you see a bear!" Monokuma said as he laughed once more. "I mean, that's totally laughable! It makes me laugh! I'm gonna laugh now! A-ha-ha-ha! ...And that's that." His mood switched in and instant as his face went blank, before forming a sinister grin. "Well, it's almost time to cut off your past so full of hope, and begin to despair at the future ahead of you! I want you to all have way more fun in this killing game!"

Hina's eyes widened in horror. "You can't be serious... We have to keep going?"

"N-No... We were supposed to get out of here...!" Hiro weakly cried.

"Get out of here? Are you still obsessed with getting out of here?" Monokuma tilted his head, before looking annoyed. "How do you not get it!? There IS no getting out of here! And besides... This life isn't all bad ya know! I mean, there's stuff you won't like about life no matter where you are!"

"Are you s-serious? This place is the w-worst...!" Toko grunted.

"If it's the worst, does that mean you're in...despair? Ahh-hahahahaha!" Monokuma cackled before sighing. "Whew. I'm pooped from all that laughing! I guess I'll just get to the point now."

"The point...?" Makoto repeated in confusion.

"You guys really struck gold when you found that TV. Yes, indeed! That TV is an essential part of your school life here." Monokuma said.

Byakuya grunted. "I knew it was hiding a secret of some kind..."

"But I connected the antenna, so why's it just showing us the surveillance feed?" Hiro asked.

 Monokuma giggled. " Puhuhu... Look how attentive they are now! Well then, I'm gonna let you in on a blood-gushing secret and tell you about it! That TV is absolutely, without a doubt, displaying the signal coming in on the antenna."

Hina looked confused. "Huh? But...what does that mean?"

"It's displaying th-the signal...? But it's just us, standing h-here..." Toko pointed out.

Monokuma rolled his eye. "Ugh, you're so stupid! Don't you get it!? Fine, I'll just tell you..." He then turned around and pointed to the abundance of screens. "This killing game is being broadcast live to the entire world. It's the most popular thing on TV!"