Chapter 12: The Endurance Test

(3rd Person's POV)

Something to eat. That's all she wanted. Nothing more, nothing less. And now she's going to get dragged into something like this.

Although...I suppose she's already roped into this...

As the woman opened the door, she saw Mondo and Taka, who looked to be in the middle of an argument. Makoto was also there. I guess he got there before she did...

"Naegi! Shirayuki! Perfect timing!" Taka exclaimed.

"Huh? What's going on?" Makoto asked, looking a bit nervous.

"I have a favor to ask!" Mondo spoke up.

I have a bad feeling about this... Sora thought.

"C'mon, you guys. You gotta be our witnesses!"

"Witnesses to what...?" Makoto inquired.

Mondo shot a fierce glare at Taka. "This guy's been talkin' shit about me since day one. Callin' me a coward and shit like that..."

"You are a coward!" Taka shot back. "That's why you turn to violence to solve your problems! That's why you can't do what society asks of you, why you walk around dressed like that!"

"...The fuck you say? You dunno shit." Mondo growled as he clenched one of his fists, resisting the urge to deck the hall monitor right then and there.

"You've already lost to yourself, but you're such a coward you don't even realize it!" Taka shouted.

"So what, you sayin' you're not a coward? You think you're tougher than me?" Mondo got up in Taka's face, his pompadour touching Taka's spiky hair.

"I know I am!" Taka fearlessly replied.

"Okay, then let's throw down. Prove you got what I don't got!" Mondo said.

"I accept your challenge!" Taka said, eyes filled with determination.

"So that's what's happening', you two." Mondo turned to Makoto and Sora. "You gotta be our witnesses!"

"You're gonna...throw down? You're not gonna like...start punching each other, are you?" Makoto asked.

"If you are, can you wait a few minutes?" Sora requested. "I wanna get some ice cream and place a few bets."

Makoto gives the girl a disapproving look.

"...What?" Sora defensively asked.

Mondo shook his head. "There's a bathhouse on the 1st floor of the dorm, right? With a sauna inside?"

"I see...a simple endurance contest, is it?" Taka glared at Mondo. "We're going to see who can stay in the sauna the longest, am I right!?"

"Goddamn straight!"

(Scene Transition brought to you by Chibi Mondo carrying Chibi Sora on his shoulder.)

The four soon found themselves in the sauna. Makoto felt nervous about this whole thing, while Sora looked indifferent and even had popcorn and an orange drink with a straw in both her hands, drinking the latter.

"A-Are you guys really gonna go through with this?" Makoto stuttered.

"Shit yeah!" Mondo shouted.

"He'll be done in a matter of minutes, anyway. People like him are, without exception, all talk!" Taka boasted.

"Bring! It! On!" Mondo cracked his knuckles. "Hell, let's make things interesting. Wouldn't wanna win without a challenge, right?"

"Interesting...?" Makoto inquired as Sora looked interested as she tilted her head and her ahoge bobbed up and down.