Late Night Talks

Set after season 6, Skybound. Also, Day of the Departed already happened so they're living in the Airjitzu Temple currently.

Not being tired enough to sleep was one thing, but not being able to sleep due to constant ponytailed, floating djinn haunting you in your nightmares was another story.

He felt sorry. For everyone he's hurt and everything he's destroyed. But mostly sorry for Nya. The thought of her having died because of the fact that he wasn't able to resist his first wish was straining, really. His intention was to impress her, not to lead her to her doom. And what did he do? Lead her to her doom.

Having nightmares about what happened in the alternate timeline was something he's always kept secret from her. He simply was afraid of opening up to her about something as serious as that. Why would he? He was always the goofy one, no one would expect him to be serious about anything.

He also never told her about what happened when he was captured and imprisoned on Misfortune's Keep. Telling her and making her worry was the least he wanted.

Whenever he couldn't sleep, or was too afraid to have another nightmare about Scrap N' Tap or his girlfriend's death, he would quietly sneak outside and climb up the massive building. He'd sit on the roof and just stare into the sky, looking at the many stars that were shining pretty brightly. It was quiet, it was calming, it was everything he needed to feel at least a little bit better.

That night, it wasn't any different. He woke up, covered in sweat as well as tears, quietly trying to catch his breath. He dreamed about her dying in his arms... again.

He wanted to go up to his usual spot on the roof, but first, he needed to make sure Nya was still alive. That nothing actually happened.

So he quietly opened his door and walked up to her bedroom a few doors away from his. He pressed his ear against the door, trying to listen for any sounds. When he heard nothing, he carefully opened the door wide enough to fit his head through and took a peek inside. The lights were out, only the moon shone through the slightly open window. He looked towards the bed, giving a soundless sigh of relief when he saw her tucked in her bed, her head sticking out from the covers. She wasn't snoring, but seemed to be asleep based on no movement. Jay smiled, quickly pulling his head out and closing the door again.

She was safe again.

He then made his way outside, climbing the Airjitzu Temple once again, making sure to do it as quietly as possible while climbing up the windows of his friends. Explaining to them what he was doing at around four in the morning was something he obviously wanted to avoid.

After sitting down on the edge of the roof, he let his feet dangle down and leaned back, resting his weight on his hands while looking up at the stars.

He wasn't much of a person to know about astronomy, but he did learn a thing or two from his parents when they used to go stargazing when he was little. Those were happy memories.

Jay sighed, remembering why exactly he was on the roof again. He closed his eyes, telling himself over and over again that everything was over. That everything didn't exactly happen. But his mind did the thing where it just didn't want to obey. Instead, it sent him back to those memories of seeing Nya die in his arms.

It was very traumatizing, really. Seeing someone die in your presence is already sad enough, but them being the love of your life was clearly enough for him to handle.

Then his mind drifted to somewhere else. He asked to himself how Nya was coping with everything. They didn't really talk about it that much after a short conversation right after they were back in the past. And then he realized that she never actually spoke about what was going on in her mind either. What if she was handling it worse than he did? Sometimes, whenever she couldn't sleep, or had a nightmare, she would come to his room and they'd cuddle together until both fell asleep. He never pressed on her to tell what those nightmares were about, because he assumed it hurt to even talk about. After all, he didn't talk about anything either, who was he to judge?