An Unexpected Call (Part 1)

Set after season 14, Seabound.

It had been about a year since her departure.

It had been for about a year since Master Wu started blaming himself for losing one of his best students.

It had been for about a year since Zane and Pixal started playing the therapists of the team, although they themselves needed help.

It had been for about a year since Lloyd started blaming himself for losing one of his best teammates. But mostly his big sister.

It had been for about a year since Cole started to lose his smile, and his appetite. He couldn't bear to even look at a piece of cake because it would remind him of the many times she had joked about his diet choices.

It had been for about a year since Kai started to become mute. He rarely talked to any of his friends. He would visit his parents a lot, just to not feel as empty inside. He was the one to promise his little sister to protect her at all costs, yet he was also the one to watch her leave.

It had been for about a year since Jay started to shut himself out. His door and windows were constantly locked, and it was a rare sight of him leaving his room. It was also rare for him to let any source of light into his room, he didn't want to accidentally look at himself in the mirror pieces that were lying everywhere. The mirrors he had broken a long time ago. He was mute, and he wouldn't talk to anyone but Mr Cuddlywomp, and even that was rare. He kept blaming himself for everything. The thought of him not being good enough for her to stay with him was bugging him 24/7.

But then one day, Jay was torn away from his thoughts by the ringing of his phone.

He was lying in bed with his plushie flush close against his chest. His eyebrows creased together. He could still exactly remember when he had shut his phone off after receiving too many unbearable messages from friends, family, and the press. Everything was about his loss, which he wasn't ready to accept.

Yet now his phone was ringing as loudly as ever. And it wouldn't stop, on top of that. It couldn't be his mind playing tricks on him either because it would most definitely not play 'The Weekend Whip' at a time like that.

But then Jay remembered that his phone, just like every other Ninja's, had an automatic warning system for emergencies. No matter if one of their phones was on silent mode, turned off, or the battery was dead, the police commissioner could always reach out to them. It had been suggested by... her.

And back then, it was a great idea for crime fighting. However, right now, it was definitely not what Jay wanted to have.

The social interaction.

Yet he was still a ninja. And he had responsibilities to take care of. But then again, what kind of a good ninja would let his teammate just go like that? And worst of all; that teammate was his love.

But she would always want him to keep fighting. His mind drifted off to a memory from before this whole thing with Kalmaar began.

Flashback.

The two were cuddling in his room, watching a romance movie that was randomly playing on TV.

Nya looked at the screen intently as she felt Jay's arms around her form, holding her almost protectively. She frowned. "He just... gave up?! What kind of person would give up?!" She referred to the man in the movie.

"Nya, he just lost the love of his life. I can understand why he wouldn't want to go on without her." He squeezed her tighter, not wanting to imagine having to go through that again.