Freezing Hearts

Set during the ice chapter of season 11, Secrets of the Forbidden Spinjitzu. Jay and Nya are on their way to "save Cole from Krag".

Shivering, Jay tried to keep the same pace as Nya who was trying hard to keep going faster and faster. They were walking up a snowy mountain, and it was quite steep for their likings.

"Can we... walk a bit... slower, please?" Jay panted, running the last few steps to walk right next to his girlfriend.

Nya turned towards him, not reducing her speed. "No, Jay. We need to keep going before something happens." She reminded him.

"I know but we're not gonna be able to save Cole if we die due to exhaustion." Jay reasoned.

Nya suddenly stopped in her tracks, startling Jay who almost crashed into her. "You think so?"

"I mean, we're not even wearing appropriate clothes for this weather here, so yeah."

She sighed. "Fine, we'll walk slower." Then she actually started to walk at a normal pace.

After a while of walking up the mountain aimlessly, Jay looked up at the sky to see the sun, even through it was barely visible, setting. He sighed.

"We should probably find shelter."

Nya, who was crossing her arms in front of her chest to try to keep herself warmer, turned to face him. "We need to keep going. The sooner we find Cole, the earlier we'll be back in the village."

She did have a point, Jay had to admit that. But he could barely feel his feet, that's how cold it was. "I know, but Nya, we-"

"Jay, you know we can't do that." She let out a shaky breath.

"But you're gonna make yourself sick." He creased his eyebrows in worry.

Yes, Jay was feeling very cold, but he could see that Nya was in a much worse condition, though she was trying to hide it from him, obviously. He did catch her quietly sneezing and coughing in her elbow, after all. And the way she was shivering like that was clearly not normal at all.

"Jay, I'm fine. We should-" She stopped herself when she saw something in the distance. She tilted her head, focusing her gaze on a black piece of cloth lying on the snow a few feet away. "What's that?" She shakily pointed at it.

Jay turned around and followed her finger to lay his eyes on the black cloth as well. Silently, he made his way over to it quickly. Once he was in proximity, he could recognize it as a strong piece of fabric. He bent down slowly, picking it up with his clothed hand, holding it in both of his hands while slowly getting back up. It was a black piece of fabric, and the way it felt, Jay knew it had to be Cole's. After all, all of the Ninjas' gi's were made out of the same, strong fabric, only in different colors.

Jay let out a long sigh, watching his hot breath meeting the cold air and swaying away. A lot of images crossed his mind at once, imagining what could've happened to Cole while he was still alone with that monster up there. What if they were too late? What if Cole was already done for? What if when they reached the top of the hill, they would only find his dead body? What if-

A loud growl coming from the top interrupted both of their thoughts. Their heads whipping up, they tried to look for a source, only to find nothing. Then both faced each other, worry and excitement (the bad kind) were plastered across their cold faces.

However, their eyes widened once they heard another loud noise. It did not sound like whatever the heck that previous thing was, though. Their heads turned back towards the top of the steep hill, and their hearts started to beat faster.