That Damned Smile

It was a rather quiet Sunday afternoon. Everyone seemed to be off doing whatever they wanted to.

Nya, wanting to make herself a coffee, headed out of her bedroom and walked over to the kitchen. Once she stepped inside, she saw her brother leaning against the counter with his back to her, so she walked up to him and positioned herself next to him, also resting her elbows on the countertop.

"Hey bro," she said, startling him.

He breathed heavily as he clutched is chest. "When did you get here?!"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "First, I'm a ninja, being stealthy is part of my job. Second, I wasn't even creeping up on you, I was just walking."

"Oh."

"What's wrong?" Nya asked, walking up to the coffee machine to make herself her favorite drink.

He let out an awkward laugh. "What do you mean? Nothing's wrong, sis."

Nya looked back at him with a look on her face that said 'there is definitely something wrong'.

When he stayed silent, she sighed. "Kai, I've known you for way too long to know there's something on your mind."

The Fire Ninja sighed, giving in. "Fine, you got me." He scratched the back of his neck, looking back down at the countertop where nothing was placed on. "I'm just... worried, that's all."

"Worried about what?" She asked, waiting for her coffee.

He squinted his eyes at her, trying to look for something in her eyes. "Why aren't you worried?"

"Well, my least favorite brother, maybe I'd know what you mean if you told me what you think I should be worried about."

"Well," Kai mocked. "First, I'm your only brother. Second, ouch!"

Nya chuckled, turning back around to pour her coffee into a mug. "Now tell me."

Kai sighed. "It's Jay. Don't you think there's something... off about him lately? I mean, he's been training extra hard for the past week or so. I'm not saying he needs to, it's just weird since he's usually so calm and retreated. And it's been a little while since I've seen him genuinely laugh or crack a joke... It feels illegal to see him like this."

Nya swallowed down a lump in her throat before taking a sip of her steaming hot coffee and burning her tongue in the process, still not facing her brother.

"You know something that I don't, don't you?" Kai asked suspiciously. When she didn't answer, he walked up to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Sis? What's wrong?"

Nya sighed before putting her mug down on the countertop and turning around to look into her brother's eyes. "Tomorrow's the day he got put on Ed and Edna's doorstep nineteen years ago."

Kai's eyes widened. "Oh," he breathed out. "That's why he's been like this around this time of the year for the past few years," he realized.

His sister nodded, letting out a long breath.

"Can't you do something? I mean, you are his girlfriend," he said.

"Don't you think I've tried?" Nya asked. "Every time I've tried to talk to him, he either pushed me away or cut the conversation short. I know he didn't mean to be like that to me, I know he's just upset."

"Come here," Kai said, wrapping his arms around Nya's shoulders, pulling her into his embrace.

Nya hugged him back, resting her head on his shoulder.

"It's fine, baby sis."

"Don't call me that!" Nya exclaimed, slapping his shoulder lightly.

Kai rolled his eyes, pulling away. "You'll always be my baby sister."