Masked Mysteries

His electric blue eyes darted from left to right, watching and observing the many individuals around him enjoying themselves with strangers they had likely never met before.

The elegant, slow song that was blasting through the speakers slowly started getting on his nerves. It was way too slow and way too noble in his opinion.

As he saw a woman who seemed to be in her early twenties approaching him, he shook his head at her, giving her the best serious expression he could.

Getting the hint, the woman smiled politely and walked into a different direction.

He sighed. That was the eighth woman who had tried to dance with him that evening. And he had arrived less than thirty minutes ago, too!

Well, at least she was nice enough to leave him alone, unlike some other women.

He walked around, keeping his gaze on the dancing couples and occasionally glancing away to look at the food table.

A small piece of cake would be good now, given that there was nothing else to do. And he had previously heard that there were many, many options: chocolate cake, strawberry-cheesecake, lemon cake, peach cake, apple pie, and more delicious pieces of baked goodness.

But no, he was not allowed to look away or distract himself with anything else.

By now, he was getting annoyed by that. He could've spent his Saturday evening at home, playing video games or relaxing in his bed, but of course he couldn't do that when his job was all about catching criminals and saving the day.

He was questioning his life choices constantly, but there was no turning back — His destiny had already been set.

"Dude, you could look at least a little happy!" he heard his friend, Lloyd, hiss through his communicator.

Looking away from the crowd, he sighed. "Why do I have to be here? Couldn't you or-"

"You know that's not possible, Jay! Cole and Kai are on another mission, and Zane, Pixal and I are watching the CCTV footage," Lloyd said, sighing himself.

"But I feel so out of place, Lloyd. I don't belong here."

Jay looked down at his clothes and suppressed another sigh upon looking at his black tuxedo and polished, black shoes.

"I know that, but those people don't," his friend answered.

It was true, nobody could know that Jay Walker, the famous Blue Ninja, was in there with them.

It was a masquerade ball after all.

"Don't worry, Nya will be there soon," Lloyd told him, trying to lighten up the mood a bit.

"Yeah, but it's been way too long, Lloyd!" Jay exclaimed quietly. "How long will it exactly take?"

"Let me check," Lloyd said before the two quieted down, with Jay waiting for Lloyd's answer and Lloyd looking for an answer. After a few seconds, the Green Ninja's voice came through again. "From what I could find out, she's right behind you."

"What?" Jay wondered out loud before he quickly whipped around, only to be met with what he could only describe as a goddess.

A woman was standing there, dressed in an off-the-shoulder, marine blue ball gown. The fabric on her upper body was tight against her skin, beautifully accentuating her curves without making it seem suggestive in any way. Her raven-black hair was flowing down in loose curls, a small smile on her plump, pale lips. She had a black mask covering the upper half of her face which had different blue patterns decorating the hard, black material.