The Subtle Invitation

The next day and Arden was currently walking to Levi's office. She had been  sitting at the table with the Elite Squad in the mess hall, eating breakfast whilst her friends offered entertainment. The usual. That was until a soldier she didn't know the name of came up to her to inform her that the Captain wanted to see her.

Standing infront of Levi's door, Arden softly knocked two times.

"State your name and business." Came Levi's bored voice from inside the office.

Sighing, she answered him using the same bored tone, "Arden. You called for me."

"Come in." Came his immediate reply, though his tone sounded rather annoyed. Pushing down the cool metal of the handle, Arden entered Levi's office. She was immediately surprised to see Erwin stood next to Levi, his hands clasped behind his back and a serious expression on his face. Levi was sat at his desk, pen in hand as he scribbled away on his paperwork. He had a grumpy expression on his face. Everything was still neatly set on his desk, like always.

Arden stared at the two blankly as she closed the door behind her. "Discussing the expedition without me?" She questioned calmly as she walked over to the desk.

"Wouldn't dream of it." Erwin smiled as his serious expression softened.

Without looking up from his desk, Levi picked up a letter and held it out in Arden's general direction. "You have a letter." Came his muttered words. She raised a brow at him, wondering why he seemed so cold today, before grabbing the letter out of his hand, watching how he just carried on with her paperwork as if she wasn't there.

He's probably just stressed because of the paperwork. She thought as she dropped down into the chair lazily. Relaxing into its soft material.

"You're opening it in here?" Levi questioned boredly, but he didn't look up to face her.

"Why? Am I not allowed--" turning the letter in her hands, she stilled when she saw the writing on the front.

Written in elegant cursive letters were the words:

Arden Croix

Sincerely, D.
~

The letter was sealed with a golden stamp. The symbol being that of a chrysanthemum flower: a symbol of death.

"Arden?" Erwin questioned, noticing her sudden stillness as she stared blankly at the letter.

Even Levi finally looked up to her, his eyes focusing on the slightly tight grip she held the letter with.

Both Erwin and Levi watched as she sat up, straightening her posture. Her once crossed legs now uncrossed as she lazily opened the letter. The two males were intrigued. Though they couldn't exactly read what her reaction to the letter was, she still had some sort of reaction.

Her blood red eyes slowly scanned the neatly written, cursive letters on the page:

Dearest Arden Croix,

News of your transfer to the Survey Corps has come to my attention.
I give you my personal congratulations.
It has been many months since your last visit, I am deeply saddened by this.
Why don't we catch up and enjoy each others company in the coming days?
I can offer you one of the finest delicacies I know that you are craving for.