Raid on Stohess District Part II: Hunger-Driven

"Come on." Levi muttered, gently tugging on her wrist as he pulled them both toward a gap in the buildings.

"Wait. Erwin told us to stay here." Arden stated, but catching the determined expression on his face, she knew that Levi had other plans, "But you're not going to listen to him." She added, a fond grin forming on her face. No matter what, Levi wouldn't sit on the sidelines and allow soldiers to die if he could do something about it. Despite what everyone thought of the man, he cared deeply about the lives of his soldiers.

Suddenly, a loud, roaring screech thundered through the city as the two emerged at the edge of a large clearing. The sound immediately causing Arden to rip her hand from Levi's grasp so she could cover her ears. It sounded so much louder since she was weaker, her ears ringing as it felt like her eardrums had split.

She hadn't processed the two hands grabbing her cheeks as she squeezed her eyes shut. A hammering now forming in her head.

And when the roar ceased, she found her eyes open, Levi standing infront of her with his brows furrowed in shock. "Arden!" The shout of her name sounding as a mere whisper under the intense ringing of her ears.

But she wasn't looking at him. Her blood red eyes were widened and staring past his shoulder. Noticing this, Levi spun around. His own eyes widening slightly at the sight. The Female Titan quickly scaling the wall. And Eren in his Titan form. Except something was different. His skin was now ashen, almost as if it had been charred, and littered with glowing streaks of vibrant orange. The Titans once green eyes were now a glowing blue. And he was gripping onto the Female Titan's legs, his hands torn off along with his right foot.

"Eren..." She whispered. The ringing quickly fading away.

"Captain Levi, sir!" A scout zipped past them on his ODM gear, landing infront of the two.

Levi didn't even properly acknowledge the soldier, still focused on the terrifying sight of the 2 Titans in the distance, "You. Give me your gear." Levi ordered.

"Yes, sir." The soldier didn't hesitate to quickly shrug of his ODM gear and hand it to the Captain. Then fled the scene, he had no gear, what was he gonna do?

As Levi quickly equipped the gear, Arden was still slightly disoriented. Head pounding as she tried to shake away what little of the ringing was left.

When Levi turned back to her, he hesitated. He wanted to help Eren, to stop the Female Titan from escaping. But at the same time he didn't want to leave Arden.

Already knowing what he was thinking, she stepped forward and grabbed his hand, "Go. We can't let her get away again."

"But--"

"I'll be fine. Just go. You need to do this." She reassured him, big red eyes staring at him almost pleadingly.

He looked back seeing Annie much further up the wall than before and Eren on the ground with her foot in his mouth. Then he grunted, shaking his head as he quickly spun back around to Arden. Leaning forward and placing a chaste kiss on her forehead. Then his hand slipped from hers and he was gone.

Perhaps he hadn't thought about the action, hadn't processed it as he flew away to save humanity. But Arden did. She was frozen in place, eyes wide and a pink tint crawling across her cheeks. Her feet were grounded, but there was a light, airy feeling around her. The spot his lips had touched, felt warm, the trace of his lips still present.