Poisoned

"A changeling?!" Kain whisper-shouted at Arden, eyes wide in alarm and shock, "B-But! I've only ever heard of them. I've never seen one!" He gasped in shock.

Arden nodded her head, right hand clutching at her stomach as it began to burn in agony. The wound was becoming more painful and she knew something was wrong. "But they are real. Rare, but very real. Trust me." She grunted out, even talking was becoming difficult for her now.

The two had found a fallen log at the edge of the camp where they could talk privately. The rest of the Scouts were busy preparing for the journey back to Wall Rose. Arden had told Kain everything that happened, the voice in her head, dark demonic presence, chasing the demon and the soldier it had kidnapped and killed. To fighting it and discovering it was a changeling, then her rush back to the platoon which ended in her smashed against a tree before becoming a broken pile of bones on the forest floor.

As she finished talking, another short fit of coughs tore through her lips, bile rising to her throat before swiftly sinking back down. She gripped even tighter at her wound as her face contorted into into all unimaginable manners of pain.

Her erratic and fast breathing worried Kain when the cough died down. He stared at the wound in horror, feeling the dark energy from it growing stronger by the minute.

Shuffling closer to her on the log, he stared at her for a minute before somberly asking, "Let me look at it?"

Arden gulped. She didn't need to look at her wound to know it was bad, she could feel it. Feel it moving around and spreading. But at the same time, she wanted to know the extent of her injuries. So she silently sighed before glancing around to make sure no one was around or watching.

Then she carefully yet painfully moved her cloak and lifted her shirt that was now black and not red; the first sign that something had gone terribly wrong. Untying the piece of cloth around her wound, she had to bite harshly on her lip to stop the grunts of agony that threatened to escape.

But she found that she couldn't completely untie it herself, sucking in a harsh breath before chomping down harder on her lip. A metallic taste spilling onto her tongue.

Kain gently grabbed her hands, stopping her from injuring herself anymore. The two looked at each other sadly before he nodded his head at her, letting her know that he would do it for her. Arden moved her hands to hold up her shirt, lifting it so her stomach was exposed.

As carefully as he could, Kain began unwrapping the piece of blood-soaked cloth from her abdomen. But as it pulled away from her stomach, there was the sound of skin and blood squelching as it was slowly and agonisingly peeled away from the cloth. Her skin had stuck to the cloth because of her thick, hot blood that was oozing out of the wound.

She grunted through closed lips because of the tormenting pain. "Son of a bitch--" She strained out through gritted teeth. The pounding in her head had only intensified even more, hammering violently at her skull.

Kain whinced as the cloth was completely removed and he discarded it behind the log. "How does it look?" She grunted out, already expecting a horrible outcome.

Kain opened his mouth and shook his head before gulping, "Itttt-- It's not pretty." He admitted, pursing his lips as he stared at the wound.

It was 5 puncture marks that went clean through to her back. Each hole was about 2cm in diameter and oozing thick, black blood. The skin around that was visible was red raw and coated in either sticky marroon or charcoal liquid. But what caused Kain to narrow his brows in confusion was the way the black liquid seemed to be moving inside of the puncture marks, like it was growing and festering. It was like a thick glob that wretched around, and from the wound was spreading ashy lines that faded to a crimson the further from the wound they got.