Bertoto

(This chapter is named after the 50 times I had to look up how to spell this mfs name 😶)

~•~

"Hmmm." Hange hummed curiously as her eyes scanned the paper in her hands, glasses glinting with intrigue.

Noticing this, Eren asked, "Section Commander? Something wrong?"

Peering up from the paper Sasha had given her, Hange woke from her intense staring, "Uh--huh? Oh, uh, well I was finally able to get my hands on the background report I requested for Annie Leonhart."

"Annie?" Eren repeated, curious about what the report said.

"Yeah. Took longer than I was hoping for. The paper trail's a bit of a catastrophe at the moment. Bureaucracy, huh?" She scoffed, before readjusting her glasses and continuing with the more serious topic at hand, "Anyway, according to this, there were two other cadets in the 104th who haled from the same region. I have their names. One Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover."

Mikasa and Armin's eyes widening as Sasha and Eren audibly gasped. Immediately, Arden furrowed her brows, her head falling slightly and her long, raven hair following the movement. Levi watched the woman beside him as a look of deep thoughtfulness crossed her features. It seems the both of them were thinking the same thing.

Hange continued, "Not much survived in the way of records, and thanks to the chaos 5 years ago, what we have on them is unreliable. However, we do know that during the long-range scouting formation, their unit was given false intel. They were among those intentionally mislead into thinking Eren was in the right wing."

"The right wing?" Arden muttered under her breath, Levi being the only one to catch it. She turned to find him already staring at her, that same calculating look in his eyes as she had, both of them sharing the same thought process.

That thankfully for everyone else, Armin gasped out, "Wait just a minute. That's the Section Annie attacked."

"What? What does that mean?" Sasha turned to the blonde as she asked her shocked question, not quite putting the pieces together herself.

Tobias' eyes widened for a brief second as he turned around to Hange whom he was stood next to, "Wait! D-Does that mean they could have been coercing with the Female Titan?" His eyes sparkling with admiration as Hange gave him a quick, toothy smile.

"That's right. It's entirely possible they told Annie where they thought Eren was." Armin expanded on what Tobias had said, filling the silver haired man with a sense of pride.

But Sasha was still confused, "Huh? Why would they do that?"

"Where are you going with this, Armin?" Eren asked bitterly, not liking what his friend was implying, "You can't just accuse--!"

"I totally agree." Hange cut him off, "Coincidence doesn't establish relationship. Bearing that in mind, I'm curious to know how the three interacted while training. What can you tell me?" She asked Eren, Mikasa, Armin and Sasha as they would have been the only ones to see the 3 interact: Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt.

Armin was the first to speak up, "I knew Bertholdt and Reiner were from the same region as Annie, but I never saw them act friendly."