This Cruel Existence is Better With You

After everyone fell asleep, even Kain, Arden was left alone. She was exhausted but couldn't sleep. Her body ready to shut down but her mind racing with a million thoughts.

They were plagued with Erwin's upcoming plan and what would happen to Eren. What Annie Leonhart would do when they reach Stohess, would she figure out their plan and turn into a Titan to kill them? Or would she be clueless? Considering her previous actions, that wasn't likely, she seemed like a smart enemy. And that made her all the more dangerous.

She was thinking about how weak the changeling poison had left her. And despite the comforting words of her friends, there was that little voice in her head whispering that they were wrong. Taunting her because of her weakened state. Making her belive she was worthless and a burden. Something fragile and broken that wouldn't be able to protect those who mattered.

But most importantly, she was thinking about the greater demon who sent the changeling. Ofcourse there was the possibility that it was just a rogue lesser demon, but as she thought before, demons stay in heavily populated human areas to feed. The spaces between Walls Rose and Maria is Titan territory, so it just didn't make sense for the changeling to be out there. There was no way it was able to gimick Kain and Levi in the few hours of the expedition, it would have to of taken at least a few days. Meaning a greater demon was in fact involved.

Was it a preemptive attack on her? Or had it just been coincidence that the lesser demon mimicked two of the people she cared about most?...

That thought led her to Drystan's story. It still didn't make sense. Concealing her existence. Being fascinated by her ability to control fire. But she knew one thing for certain, she was involved. And it was more serious than she thought.

When a cold chill blew through her hair, she glanced around, shocked to find that she had somehow wondered outside. She didn't even remember leaving her room or walking through the Castle to get here. Her legs must've had a mind of their own and just up and carried her away.

But she didn't mind. There was something peaceful about being outside of a building. Yes the walls and floors and roofs provided safety, but they also trapped you in. Outside you were exposed, but inside you were locked away. Maybe it was just the calmness of nature that made the outside so appealing. The mysterious beauty of the world, the one that was deadly yet drew you in with its vibrant colours and calls of animals.

Being out there, away from everything and everyone, there was a feeling of security for Arden. And the further she stumbled from the castle, the more her mind seemed to ease.

It was no longer full of demons and monsters, paranoia and self-loathing. But the delicate hum of the wind, the captivating song of the mockingbird echoing all around. The soft crunch of leaves beneath her feet as she glided through the forest.

Finding a small clearing, she felt the breath leave her. Rays of moonlight were cascading through the gaps in the trees, illuminating the area with an ethereal pearl glow. Vibrant green grass coated in a light layer of cold water droplets from where it had been previously raining. The droplets glistening like crystals under the moonlight. Wild flowers in a flurry of mesmerising colours sprouting in perfect patches across the grassy forest floor. It was surreal. Like a scene that had been plucked right out of a fairytale.

She found herself staring in wonder, the moonlight sparkling in her eyes as she gazed around. In her mind, she didn't think it was possible for such a beautiful place to still exist in this cruel world. Yet here it was, right in front of her.