The 57th Recon Mission

In the year 850, humankind reclaimed lands from the Titans for the first time since their appearance some hundred-odd years before.

The cost, however, was great.

One short month later, led by Erwin Smith, the Scout Regiment set out.

Leaving the relative comfort and safety of Calaneth District, they sought to carve a route to Shiganshina, the place believed to hold the Titans' secrets.

~•~

It hadn't been that long during the expedition when the first red smoke signal was sent out. Soon joined by many more as a flurry of bright red streams dispersed into the air.

When a single green smoke signal was sent out into the air, everyone knew that Commander Erwin had been able to gauge a feel of the titan's positions and adjusted the platoons course accordingly.

It was about 20 minutes later when the Eren defense unit spotted the next signal.

"Smoke signals. Green." Levi observed as he scanned the surroundings before turning around to order, "Oruo, pass it on."

"With pleasure, sir!" Without hesitation Oruo responded, pulling out his flare gun and attaching a green smoke cylinder to the barrel. Then he raised it into the air, pulling the trigger as a 'bang' sounded from the gun and the stream of bright green flared into the sky.

Arden rode next to Levi at the head of the group, though she did position herself slightly further back than him, giving the Captain the most forward position. Her blood red eyes had been constantly scanning the surroundings, taking note of all the smoke signals, whether they be red, green, black, yellow or purple. Black was what she was waiting for. Black meant an abnormal. And it was without a doubt that a black smoke signal would end up as their biggest threat. Whether it meant the Colossal Titan, Armoured Titan or an entirely different Titan shifter, someone was going to come after Eren. Otherwise, why would the Commander set out such a meticulously crafted plan that he only entrusted a few with?

Her thoughts were broken when a soldier came riding up next to them, face caked in sweat and a horrified expression on his face, immediately catching the attention of Levi and Arden. "Reporting, sir!" The rider addressed with a head nod to the two, "An oral message! It appears the right-wing spotters have been wiped out! The early warning network is compromised. One of you will need to relay the message down the line." With that, the rider disappeared, returning to his formation in the platoon.

Levi immediately turned to glance over to Petra, his expression firm and serious along with his voice, "You heard the man, Petra. Go on."

"Sir." With a nod of her ginger head she was already setting out.

"Tobias." Arden spoke for the first time since departing, catching the attention of everyone, "Help relay the message. The quicker everyone is informed the easier it will be for the Commander."

"On it!" He called back sharply, riding towards the left flank but in the opposite direction of Petra so the message could spread faster. His striking silver hair whipping behind him as he went.

And that's when more 'bangs' sounded in the distance as the two squads turned to see the sight to their right. Just like Arden had feared, the baby blue sky was alive with streaks of black smoke. The thing she and Levi were no doubt waiting for was quickly making its presence known: an abnormal.