Chapter 195

"Let's head upstairs, we're pretty far down. This may take a while."

Leo, the C-Class Legendary Grade Artificer looks at me with a kind smile while standing behind the open doors of the elevator.

I hesitantly look behind my shoulder, then back at him. He seems nice and is definitely from the Association, but this all seems way too convenient.

I reply.

"We're really in the Hunters Association HQ? ... And did the director actually tell you I would be here?"

Leo slides the hood of his cloak down to reveal his glistening silver hair, then leans back in a more casual stance against the small silver rails in the elevator before replying.

"Well, he told me that he hoped I wouldn't have to meet you early, but there's a good chance I would. He's got some scary intuition."

Leo sighs, letting his posture relax even more while motioning for me to come into the elevator.

"Come on, it's getting late at night, you're lucky I was even here in the first place. After a few more tests, I was about to head home after a long day of work."

I let out a light gulp, then take one more look behind me before shrugging and entering the small elevator with the Artificer.

I turn my back to the wall and watch him closely as he presses a few buttons before the sliding doors close. From what I can make out, it looks like he's entering a code using the floor numbers as keys.

[1,1,5,5,3,6,7,10]

After watching and hearing 8 light clicking sounds, I see all the buttons flash blue for a fraction of a second. Once they stop glowing, the elevator begins to move upwards.

I bring my gaze back up to the young man's dark eyes, then ask a question.

"So uh- you said you were heading home after a long day of work? I know you make gadgets and items for the higher-ups and elites... but, what exactly do you even make? And what's this meeting tomorrow about anyways?"

I let out a bit of a frustrated sigh, continuing.

"Give me a straight-up answer, please. I hate how everyone is tip-toeing around me recently. Just tell me like it is...."

The elevator slowly begins to speed up as we make our way upwards. I hold onto the small railing behind me to ensure my balance as Leo responds.

"Well, like I said before. I'm an Artificer. If you give me enough raw dungeon drop items, I can make anything you need. Weapons, traps, custom items, you name it! I even made the B-Class-graded mana shielding in those rooms downstairs. Most of the newer higher-grade shielding in the capital is actually my work."

He shows a satisfied proud smirk.

The magical craftsman is almost glowing. He's... really into his job... Or a great actor...

My eyes tighten.

"So, why'd you join the Association in the first place?"

Without even a hint of a pause, he responds with a glimmer in his eyes.

"They approached me while I was still in school actually. I've always been into gadgets and magical crafting, but couldn't manage to make anything over a high E-Class rated item until I joined up with the Association."

I nod as he goes on and the elevator shakes slightly.

"The Artificer Class is rare, so it gave e an edge while career searching. Bigger magical item manufacturers and trade companies are always looking for new talent. There are usually a few people in every major city that have similar skills to me, like blacksmiths or normal craftsmanship skills."