6 Khushi's Denial

Part 6 Khushi's Denial

Everyone started taking their respective seats in the dining.

"Come and sit with Chotte, Khushi" My mother made Khushi sit next to me. Until yesterday, it was my sister Payal's seat. From here on, it would be Khushi's.

I was a foodie. My mom teased me that I was not eating to live but living to EAT. I was lucky because my mother was a good cook. She would cook traditional food so well.

That day, she cooked Sheermal with Malai paan. I knew she cooked it for me as they were my favorite food. I was addicted to the Saffron smell of Sheermal. It gave me a pleasant feel. And, Malai Paan was made up of a thin sheet of malai, filled with dry fruits in the shape of paan.

My mother filled Khushi's plate with Sheermal and Malai Paan. She looked at them with an unknown expression. She might not have seen them before I supposed. Being a Princess, she would have had star hotel breakfast at her home. I was watching her from the corner of my eye.

She started eating. She put the first morsel in her mouth and tasted it taking time. Her face changed. Her brows went up. Her expression told me she liked it and I could not believe it. She ate the food relishing it without showing a hurry. I waited for her to finish eating as I was taught what was table manners.

After finished eating, I saw Khushi going to the kitchen, following my mother. I was curious to know what my uninterested wife was going to do in the kitchen. I followed her, ignoring my cousin's teasing chuckles.

I stood out of the kitchen where I could hear her. My mother wondered seeing her daughter-in-law in the kitchen. She rushed to her and asked,

"Khushi, do you want anything?"

"I would like to ask you something, Aunty"

"Tell me..." my mother used to call girls BETA but she hesitated to address Khushi so. I could understand why. She had no gut to call the Princess BETA.

"What was that you served us today?" Khushi asked.

Yes, she asked about the dishes names served by my mother.

"Sheermal and Malai Paan"

"They tasted so good"

My mother smiled brightly. What she asked my mother amazed me.

"How did you cook it? Could you give me the recipes?"

My mother also got stuck, just like me. She too didn't expect it from Khushi. I didn't think she really would try them. Then why did she ask for the recipes? Was she showing herself all right? I didn't know.

"I will cook it for you if you like it," my mother said hesitatingly.

"Of course, you will..."

Cutting her,

"Why would you know the recipe...? After all,e you are Princess," My mother said and I could sense her hesitation. She didn't want Khushi to cook.

Khushi's facial expression changed.

"Princess? Like really? How could I be Princess after getting married to your son? I'm no more a Princess..." Khushi said in a plain tone. Neither her tone was high nor sounded angry. Was she trained to be balanced in every situation? She left the kitchen leaving my stunning mother.

I was also stunned. She was right. Even after marrying a commoner, how could she be a Princess? She was already upset about this marriage. Was she upset because she married a commoner? I wanted to talk with her. Maintaining distance from her won't help us. I supposed.