41-42

The widow's number one scholar (9)

The news that Jiang Liu was going to take the county examination soon spread throughout Qingyang Village, and even people in some nearby villages had heard about it.

Although there is no explicit limit on the age of candidates in the imperial examination, generally speaking, those who take the county examination are young men in their teens and twenties. Occasionally, there are those under ten years old who participate in the imperial examination. Those are from large families or scholars who grew up. A son who was carefully cultivated.

The son of an ordinary rural widow has only studied for more than a year, so how can he have the confidence to take the scientific examination.

Not only the people outside the village were waiting to see the joke, but even the people with the same surname in the village were very puzzled.

It's no wonder that others looked down on Jiang Liu. After all, the idea that the imperial examination was difficult has long been deeply rooted in the hearts of the people. There were not a lot of scholars in the village who failed in the exams. Although Jiang Fangzheng often praised Jiang Liu as a student, he himself was only a scholar. , how much can you believe what he said?

"Yunniang, why don't you try to dissuade your elder man? Are you really going to let him go as he pleases and let him waste his money?"

In the early morning, Meng Yunniang was washing clothes on the edge of the river beach. A group of women who used to get along well with her were kind-hearted. persuade her.

You must know that the examination is not permanent. There are three procedures for the examination of scientific reports: personal confession, mutual agreement, and recognizance.

The first two items are very simple. The personal confession is to fill in the candidate's age, place of origin, physique, and facial features. In addition, fill in the three generations of direct blood relatives. The mutual insurance is to write insurance policies for each other between the candidate and the five candidates who participated in the exam. The cheater Five people sit together.

The first two are easy. The troublesome part is the last one.

The so-called recognizance is to ask local students in the county to provide guarantees to ensure that the candidates will not assume their nationality, conceal their funeral, use a substitute, or use a false name, and ensure that the candidate's wealth is innocent. There are not many local students who can be guarantees, and there are risks in doing so. It has become a default custom to provide monetary compensation when asking village students to act as guarantees.

Generally speaking, it costs at least one or two silver to ask a junior student to be a guarantee. Every year during the county examination, the junior student can make a small fortune by doing so. It's a bit overwhelming.

Everyone felt that Jiang Liu's taking the exam was just a waste of money, so they wanted to persuade Meng Yunniang out of good intentions.

"Da Lang is quite confident. I am just a son. If he wants to take the exam, I have to tighten my belt to support him."

Meng Yunniang is confident in her son. Her Da Lang is the best in the world, and everyone else says that he is. Meng Yunniang was sure of being admitted to Tongsheng, and even wanted to become a scholar. Naturally, Meng Yunniang had to support her.

"A loving mother often loses her son."

Her idea was so correct that others could not say much. They could only lament that the son raised by a widowed mother was indeed extremely pampered. She was afraid that if Meng Yunniang continued to pamper her like this, she would spoil someone else in the future. The unfilial son comes.