Chapter 17 - Afterparty

David and I celebrated Elton for another while before I left them to have a little alone time and continued to the afterparty. Elton was worried about me as always, but David helped convince him to let me go. They sat me in a car and then I was off. Paris agreed to meet me at the door.

"Come on! We have a table. It'll be fun!" She cheered and pulled me with her into the club. Music was blasting through the room and people were hanging by the bar or getting their tables set up. Some brave ones - or more like drunk ones - were already dancing.

"So, how come you know Justin? It didn't seem like he has any idea who you are..."

"Long story short I am friends with his soon-to-be stepmother. Remember how I moved to Canada for grad school?"

"Yeah..." Paris nodded in response.

"So, apparently I chose the place he's from." I pursed my lips in annoyance.

"I see..." she furrowed her eyebrows. "What happened though? You don't seem to particularly like him" Paris laughed.

"No... I don't." I raised my eyebrows. "You know how I feel about Popstars like him..."

Paris nodded again. "He's different though, you know?" I pulled a face expressing my disbelief. "He is. Emma, he wouldn't have been nominated for a Grammy three times and had taken one home if he wasn't talented. Also, his last album - he wrote and composed most of it himself. Of course he had help, but everyone does that." She informed me.

"Well, if you say so..." I trailed off. We sat at the bar and just received our drinks. "I'm not quite convinced though..." I trailed off as we walked over to our table.

"Emma, you need to realize that nobody has the amount of talent you were blessed with. You can't keep comparing people's skills to yours. He didn't grow up in the industry like you did. He didn't have singing and instrument lessons from the age of three, he didn't have a music executive for a father and a mother who is one of the best Altos the world has ever seen." She paused as I took in her words. "You probably were the most talented person in that room just now."

I laughed. "I'm flattered, Paris - really, but seriously? I mean Elton was there and a bunch of other crazy talented people."

"Yes Emma - I am. Your level of musical talent is insane. Let me ask you this: How many times has Julliard called during the past twelve months?"

"Uhm... I don't know... four times maybe." I replied. I really didn't keep track of the amount of times I turned them down.

"See. How many people in that room back there do you think can say that?" I shrugged in response.

"Exactly!" We both took a sip of our drinks. I contemplated her words. I knew I was talented and I wasn't arguing that, but still there are people in this industry who are more talented than me - I mean, there have to be, right?

"You know what my dad always used to say about you and Max?" Paris asked looking straight into my eyes. I shook my head. "That he had never seen anyone more talented than the two of you. He always said that once you two had grown up and went on to pursue your talents, acquire skills and gain experience - the industry was to expect a level of greatness that had been unseen to date." I gaped at her.

"WHAT?" I was shocked.

"It's true."

"No way he said that!" I didn't believe her. I mean we're talking Michael Jackson here. He is a freaking legend!

"He did! On more than one occasion actually." She paused. "It's a shame you gave up music..." I felt pain rush through my body at her words. Of course I missed it - terribly! No matter how many times I told myself I didn't need it, I was lying to myself - Elton was right!