Chapter 14 - Hawaii

December 24th was the day I spend on planes making my way to Hawaii. I was excited. Hawaii was one of the places I'd always wanted to go to, but never made it - not even during the year I spent traveling between living in London and London. As my mom was German we always celebrated Christmas on December 24th and enjoyed three days of holidays. Great, even more time go get through. Also props to me for lengthening the holidays by choosing to travel from Europe to Hawaii, which caused my December 24th to be 34 hours long. Well done Emma, seriously! When I booked this I totally forgot about the time differences. However, most of the day was still spend on planes. I caught a flight from London to LA that left around noon and took about 12 hours. Then I spend two hours at LAX before jumping on the next plane to Honolulu which took another 6 hours. Therefore, when I finally made it to Hawaii 30 hours of that awfully long day had already passed, so it wasn't too bad. I was beyond exhausted and it was 8pm local time so when I made it to my hostel, I barely managed to take a much needed shower before falling to bed.

The next day I woke up at 11am, that's how exhausted I was. I went to have some breakfast and got dressed to go to the beach. A pink bikini and a see through beach dress covered with a flower print was all I wore. I packed a bag taking some music, a book and a towel with me and off I was. It was already pretty hot outside as I placed myself on my towel at the beach. A street vendor passed by me and I decided to get one of these huge beach hats. Right after I took a quick selfie for our girls group chat before ignoring all the 'Merry Christmas!' texts and focusing on watching the hot surfers do their thing. This was fun. I got myself a cocktail and started drinking with a virgin colada - how fitting! Then I did some tanning while enjoying some music. Lucky for me I would never get sunburned because I was naturally tanned - a little bit at least.

In the afternoon I got bored though, so I got myself a bike and did a tour across the city for some sightseeing. Wasting time worked surprisingly well. At some point I had some food and sat at a nice restaurant when a cute guy came up to me. We flirted, talked for a while and he placed one of those nice flowers in my hair. It was fun. We found out we stayed at the same hostel and apparently they took people out for partying that night. He wanted to forget Christmas just like me, so we bonded over that and decided to attend the party together. The theme was something anti Christmas which sounded perfect to me. I smiled to myself over that. Also Josh seemed really nice and don't get me started on his looks... maybe a little fling was all I needed. If not it Josh was gonna be good distraction at least. After a couple of hours we made our way back to the hostel to get ready for the night. I obviously had to change.

Just after I had gotten out of the shower and was in the midst of changing my phone went off. Ever since the accident I always answered my phone no matter if I knew the number or not. This time it was actually anonymous. "Hello? Who is this?" I picked up.

"Forgot about me yet?" I rolled my eyes. Guess who?

"Uhm... how was I supposed to know it was you when-?" I was cut off.

"Alright, alright... merry Christmas Emma!" I flinched at the words.

"M-merry Christmas, Justin!" I replied and gulped.

"Let me guess, you're already drunk?"

"No I'm not actually. I am going out later tonight... you seem to have had a drink or two though..." why is he even calling me?

"Maybe a glass or two, but I'm not drunk. Why would you think that?" This conversation was so awkward.

"I don't know... why are you even calling?" I asked maybe a bit too harsh. There was silence at the other end of the line.

"I don't know. I just thought I'd check in. Sorry for bothering you."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that, I'm just... surprised I guess... how'd you get my number?"