Chapter 19 - Lost memories

Within this underground training room, panting and grunts covered every inch of the atmosphere, sweat dripped along the concrete floor and screeching of shoes skidding across the surface echoed along the walls but my eyes focused on the target in front of me. *Bang!* I hit the edge nearing the bullseye as I enraged at the close shot, "Ugh! So close!" My trainer, Charlie, clapped for a heartbeat before patting my back, "You're getting better. Try again. I'll go check on the other boys." 

I relaxed for a bit, lowering handgun to my side, absorbing my surroundings. Yoongi was on the computer, training to hack systems of different difficulty levels. Jungkook and Taehyung were going against each other in various combat tactics. Hoseok was a few metres away, studying the elements of disguise and multiple uses of weapons. Jimin was training in acrobatics, for fighting. Jin was examining different poisons, analysing their effects and cures.

"Time's up! Rotate!" Charlie called out as the timer ticked off, indicating for us to swap positions. I came face to face with Jimin who was already sweating from his previous training, "Seriously, Namjoon...All this mafia stuff is a bit too much..." My gaze fell as I caught onto Jimin's arm and flipped him over my shoulder, but his reaction was quick as he landed on his feet with ease, "It's not too much if it's for Y/N...we must find dad." 

Jimin grinned, "Of course..." before striking at my feet, causing myself to fall on my back, "You need to be a bit quicker, leader!" Jimin playfully laughed as I swung my body upright, "Hmm...I think I'm better at long range...I'd rather shoot...physical fighting isn't my thing..." Jimin went for my feet again and I instantly jumped back, "Much better~" I smirked at Jimin's praise, "I'm a fast learner." The hours continued before we had our next photoshoot to attend.

Y/N POV

"Wake..." I heard someone. "Hey...Wake..." It sounded like a girl, "Wake up..." My body began to wake at the command of the voice, "Hey, Wake up!" I slowly opened my eyes, "A-am I d-dead?" I heard a chuckle, "No you're not." I turned my head to see a girl, her hair was blonde with eyes of rose gold. I observed my surroundings; water, sand and seaweed with a few sea creatures, "Huh? I'm on the ocean floor? Breathing?" I panicked as I sat up dramatically, "But I'm alive?!" I started pinching myself causing the girl to laugh louder, "Haha, you're a very amusing girl!"

As she got closer, I noticed something weird about her... When I realised what was different, I was about to scream until she covered my mouth, "Hey! Don't scream! You'll scare everyone around here." I was slightly confused about who was 'everyone' but I nodded. She slowly released her hand, making sure I wasn't going to scream, " Y-y-y-y-you h-h-h-have a-a-a-a t-tail!" She smiled while nodding, "S-so you're a mermaid?" She nodded again, "A-and you saved me?" She nodded again, "Why?" She looked at me with pitiful eyes, "Well...why did you try to suicide?" I looked up to see clear blue water with soft lights reflected from the bright sun, "...To not cause any trouble..." She held onto my hands, "Do you want to die?" I looked at her feeling troubled, "Well...no...but for my brothers, I will."

Her eyes travelled to my legs as she pondered for a while, "Then...if you want to..." Her rose gold eyes returned to look at mine, "and since I don't many friends...Would you like to become a mermaid?" My eyes widened in shock, "Me?! A mermaid?!" She laughed at my reaction while nodding, "But there is a price you must pay...your memories and..."

...When she finished speaking, I hesitated a little, 'I'll forget about being human...'. I remembered my brothers and Hwanwoong, 'They'll probably forget about me.' I looked into the mermaid's eyes, "I'm Y/N. What's your name?" She replied, "Marina~".

I smiled at her, "Okay Marina! I'm ready to become a mermaid!" She grinned widely as her hands reached for the bottle chained on her necklace, "Take a drop of this and all will be done." I opened the lid and a drop of the golden substance floated out, before I sealed the opening. I stared at the tiny droplet before looking up again, "Hey Marina... If I ask anything about human life, could you pretend that I was never human." Marina agreed without problems, "*sigh* Goodbye, everyone...". My mouth automatically consumed the golden liquid and instantly, my body started glowing as a white light wrapped it completely while it knocked me out to sleep.

...

"Hey! Are you okay?" I was woken by a girl's voice as my consciousness returned and I opened my eyes while finding myself lying on the seafloor, "Where am I?" The girl in front of me sighed a breath of relief, "Thank god you are okay. I found you unconscious here." I stared at her then at myself then at her again. "We're mermaids?" She chuckled, "What else are we then?" I laughed at her response, "Who are you?" The girl smiled at me as she stared into my eyes with her rose gold pupils, "Marina. And you are?" I smiled, "I'm..." My face dropped, "Uuuh...I don't know. I forgot...I can't remember anything..." Marina looked at me with sad eyes, "Don't worry... ...If you feel comfortable, could I call you... Y/N?" Not needing a reason for the name, I agreed.

I gazed at her rose gold tail before looking at my purplish-blue tail. They both shimmered beneath the lights of the water. I felt my hair, it was long and had light purple hues while Marina's contained a light yellow shade, "Come on Y/N, you can stay with me, I've been needing a friend anyway." I stared at her as she began to swan; though I don't know her or myself, I felt safe so I followed her. 

We arrived in a small dark cave but the deeper we swam, the more brighter it became and soon, we arrived in a small living room, "So this is where I spent most of time~and this will be your room." She opened a pearl-shaped door to reveal a decent warm bedroom, not too shabby and not too luxurious, "So, over there is the bathroom," She pointed to one of the other doors against the wall, "And that's the kitchen, dining room, and..."

"That's where I practice my magic." I looked at her overwhelmingly, "You can do magic?". She laughed, "Well, yes and no, I create magical substances but I can't actually do magic itself, I'm trying though." I grinned, "That's so cool! Could you teach me how to make some?" She smiled at me, "Maybe later, it's a bit too soon for you to do that." 

As we sat down on the couch, Marina took out some fresh seaweed to snack on while she talked about her lonely life, where she rarely had met other mermaids and mermen; they would come and go like travellers, "So...that's my story. Do...do you remember anything yet?" I shook my head, "I see...Not to worry! You have all the time in the world!" Marina reassured me that my memories will one day return, "Haha thanks Marina! I sure do hope so..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Readers!

Hope you are enjoying the story so far! Happy Australia Day!

- Euphoria_Within