Chapter 40 - Sweet Lies

*crash!* The teacup in my hand fell to the floor as I lost grip of it, "...huh?".

"Y/N! Are you okay?!", Father came to my side as he made sure no shards had pierced me. "Just a minute, I'll get you another cup.". My world froze in time as father's words circled my head, '...You're adopted...adopted...adopted...'.

Suddenly, Taehyung's stutter on 'sister' and Jungkook's weird question made some kind of sense, 'They knew. I was never their real sister...so why...why do they act so nice to me? These feelings that I had developed for them... was it because my heart knew I was never their blood-related sibling?'

Father came out with a second cup and pulled a sad face, "I'm sorry. Looks like they still haven't told you.". I stuttered, "I-i-i'm adopted?". He nodded and sighed as he sat down again, "...I wanted a girl but your mother insisted that 7 boys were enough.". His eyes narrowed, "I wanted a daughter so I went to adopt one, but your mother was so angry, she left."

'M-mother hated me?' I couldn't believe my ears. "Coincidently, after a couple of days, she died.". I gasped at the horror, 'Is this what Jin was talking about? Blaming mother's death on father because he adopted me?'. My body started to quiver, "...so it was still my fault...".

Father placed a hand on my trembling arm, "No it's not Y/N. I'm to blame." I shook my head, "I-if you hadn't adopted me,", the tears came, "She'd never leave.". He began to stroke my hair, attempting to comfort me, 'Wait...Something doesn't feel right...'.

"Father...if you wanted a daughter, why didn't you come and see me?". He sighed a heavy breath, "I was devastated at the time. I'm sorry. I'd forgotten I had adopted you and my mind was so lost until I met another woman. I unconsciously decided to stay with her, without realising the consequences of leaving you or your brothers, but she left too, not long ago."

"...Then...why are my brothers acting so nice to me now when they should be hating me, like those past years?". Father shrugged, "They...possibly wanted your most horrified expression, by building a lovely relationship with you before destroying it with the truth.". I went speechless, 'T-they...would never do that...'.

Father spoke again, "Y/N, if you return to your brothers' side, you'll be more hurt since they'll continue to blame you for their mother's death so...stay with me."

I thought for a moment, before wiping all my tears away and looking at him seriously, "It's okay father. E-even though I'm adopted, I still see them as my brothers. I don't believe they'd do such cruel acts but... if they do, I'll accept the truth. I love them unconditionally.". He nodded, "You're a big girl now Y/N. I regret not being with you during childhood and even though you're adopted, I still see you as my daughter so...continue calling me father."

I smiled, "Thank you father. Sorry for the broken teacup.". He chuckled, "No worries. Drink the tea before it gets cold.". Father's voice suddenly had a hint of hatred, "O-okay.". I lifted the cup up to my lips. Its sweet aroma filled my nose. "At least...I finally found you." Father said, under his breath. The note from before flashed through my mind, '...huh?'

*bang!* A loud explosion came from the ceiling, just before the liquid touched my lips, shaking the entire building. When I looked up to check, it began to crash down on us, "Aaah!". I braced for the impact, dropping the teacup again, but was soon protected by something warm as everything around me went dark, 'What the heck just happened?'. My surroundings returned to quietness when the last of the ceiling fell.

"...Y/N, are you okay?", my eyes widened in shock at their voices and I looked at my protectors, "B-b-brothers? W-why are you here? What's happening?". The lights went out. "Sorry Y/N. Now is not the time to be answering questions. But... why are you here?" I felt guilty, "Father asked me to come and visit him...I'm sorry. I was supposed to keep it a secret from you." They stayed quiet. Only the sun shining through the window illuminated their faces. Releasing me from their arms, I took a better look at them; they were wearing black from head to toe and had many weapons with them, 'W-why are they dressed like this? And those weapons...'

"*gasp* Where's father?". Suddenly remembering the situation we were in, I worried about father, until I heard a very hysterical laugh, "Haha! So in the end the princes came to save the princess. Such a pain~". I looked at father, who was standing a few metres from us, with a very disgusting smirk on his face, as if nothing had happened, "Y/N, stay back. Don't trust this liar." Namjoon ordered as the others surrounded me, guns in hand, "W-wait, why? W-what's going on?"

"This bastard... killed our mother. He's lying to you, Y/N! Mother wanted a daughter and adopted you but this motherf*cker ruined everything. From what I saw, he also wants to kill you too. The tea you were about to drink was poisoned.". I flinched in shock at Jin's explanation, but father's depressed face came into view, "Y/N, do you believe them? All I wanted was to spend time with you. Like father, like daughter." I trembled in confusion, '...Who's telling the truth?'.

"Y/N..." My brothers placed their gloved hands on my shaking body, which felt really soothing. I smiled as I glared at father, "Of course, I believe in them. They're my brothers.". Father's face dropped, "Hmph! Man, you're such an annoying girl. I should've killed you along with that b*tch.". Father's sudden change of attitude startled me drastically and his words shivered down my spine. "If you had agreed to stay with me, I would've let you live but I guess... that won't be happening.".

'Father really did kill mother...and he wants to kill me too! All those kind gestures just now, were all a lie.' I stared in horror and fear. "You dare to hurt Y/N!" Taehyung shouted in fury as he chuckled, "Well sons, since you look like you really hate me, my life is also at risk so...I'm going to have to take you down too. But first... let's start with Y/N." He clicked his fingers and immediately...

*bang!* A bullet suddenly came into view, aimed at me, "Y/N!!". I pushed my brothers out of the way and luckily dodged it too. "Kill her.", Father's command was dark and merciless. A figure walked out of the shadows. Her heels clicked against the marble floor as her silhouette entered the light. Her eyes looked emotionless, as if she'd been brainwashed. I froze in absolute shock, "J-jennie?".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Readers,

Thank you so much for reading!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

- Euphoria_Within