Chapter 42 - The Truth

Suddenly, "...Y/N..." I heard a voice, it sounded like... 'Mother?'. Hwanwoong's fallen gun began to project a golden hue. "...Pick it up, my sweetheart." Her sweet voice rang through my ears. My weak arm reached for the gun as I held it up in a shaky position, aiming it at the hysterically laughing man, "Go die." My voice, for some reason, didn't sound like mine but of Mother's, causing the man to freeze in shock.

*bang!* A glowing golden bullet shot through his heart as he groaned in pain before tumbling to the floor. His weak eyes continued to gaze into mine, "...Looks like...your mother's... powers are still... capable of killing me...". Father's body began to disintegrate into ash as he lost consciousness, "...Well done, my child. I'm so sorry...I can't help you anymore." Mother's voice once again called out to me, 'Wait...this voice is...Marina's?'.

After father completely disappeared, my brothers and Hwanwoong could move again. The magic was removed. They ran to my side, "Y/N!!!". I looked at each of them weakly, "Thank you so much for a wonderful life. I love you guys." They sobbed as I felt their warm tears on my skin.

I clearly remembered Marina's words, "Would you like to become a mermaid? ...But there is a price you must pay...your memories and...when you die, no matter what changes occur after turning into a mermaid, everyone will forget about you. You'll be forgotten.". Sirens could be heard outside. A tear trickled down my eye as I smiled, "...Don't... forget about me."

Darkness wrapped around me.

Marina POV

"I finally got rid of him." My tail went weak as I laid on the floor of the room, "I must go see her." I tried teleportation but my magic weakened, "Damn it! Why now!?" Taking a bottle of human transformation, I swam through the freezing waters of winter.

Using one hand, I created a bubble that bobbled in my palms, "Where is she?!". The transparent crystal glimmered and revealed a hospital room. Y/N was attached with multiple wires stuck onto her body with needles, connecting to various liquids, injected into her. I cursed in anger, "Those human crap won't do a thing to save her!". 

The bullet, that man pierced her with, was a magic one. He'd stolen most of my magic when he had 'killed' me, but it looked like he was running out of it, considering that he was using guns now.

"I knew I should've just convinced her in not going!" I cursed at my regretful decisions.

Just like Y/N, as a mermaid, I was curious about human life and fell in love with a man. He treated me like I was his whole world until I revealed my magical abilities after having 7 boys since I thought we were already serious about our relationship. 

But...I was very wrong. 

At the idea of having a daughter, he didn't care at all but was possessed by the fact that I had magic. Magic that could control the entire universe. But I had decided to put that magic to sleep long ago as it wasn't necessary to me. All I wanted was a peaceful life, but...who knew that man had such a selfish heart. 

After being 'murdered', I immediately escaped, leaving a clone of my corpse behind and returned to the ocean. I haven't seen my sons or daughter in forever but I watched them continuously through my mirror.

As they aged, I didn't. It was extremely painful for me to watch my sons abusing Y/N as they blamed her for my death but I couldn't do anything. With most of my magic stolen, I was too weak to do anything and I'm still weak. 

I immediately rushed to Y/N's side when I saw her jump into the ocean waters to save her but for all my potions, no matter who it was, they still must sacrifice the requirement to consume it. The years she stayed with me were amazing and I thought, 'This was why I wanted a daughter.' I kept an eye on my sons but I couldn't keep them from wanting revenge.

As I saw them on the surface with Y/N, I felt extremely emotional being able to see them in person. 'They'd grown so much' I thought. When Y/N wanted to be human again, I panicked but I could never resist a request from my daughter so I agreed and now, 'Look at what I've done.'. I was so shocked when Y/N told me about visiting him. I didn't know about it. He must've casted a barrier around them so I wouldn't know.

"Faster, Marina!" My tail caused a dramatic turbulence in the water as I pierced through it like an arrow. I arrived on shore and immediately devoured the potion, "Ugh, I hope these legs work." Surprisingly, my legs found balance and I began to run. "*pant*pant* This...is it." I stood in front of a large hospital and immediately ran in and slammed into the front desk, "Sorry! Excuse me! Which room is-"

Out of the corners of my eyes, I saw them standing around in the waiting room, all silent and emotionally shattered, "U-uh...sorry, please excuse me." I left the counter and cautiously approached them. I found a seat pretty close, yet far from them. "D-do you think she'll be okay?" Jungkook asked. The other members fell silent. At the sight of them, all I wanted was to run up to them and embrace them. I resisted the urge to freak them out and call them 'sons'!

A doctor came out of a room and approached the boys, 'That must be Y/N's doctor!'. They ran up to the doctor with anxious faces, "H-how is she?" Jin asked. The doctor shook his head. I sighed, 'I knew it...'.

"I'm afraid she doesn't have much time but I'll allow you to see her for as long as you like. I'm sorry." The doctor patted each of them on the shoulder before leaving. They slowly entered the room one by one. 'Should I enter?' I hesitated before walking up to the door.

*knock*knock* My eyes met 7 pairs of depressed pupils, "S-sorry to intrude, are you Y/N'S brothers?" Namjoon raised his brows, "Yes, we are. Who are you?" I put on a sad smile, "Y-Y/N's friend. My name is Marina." His eyes widened, "Ah! I know you. Y/N told me she was staying at yours but..." His eyes fell on the sleeping girl, 'Hmm? Y/N told them about me?'.

"I-is she okay?" I asked them. Yoongi gestured for me to come towards them and I did. Y/N's face became more clearer; her eyes shut, her porcelain skin lost its soft pink, her lips were purple. "Y/N..." I stroked her cheek; only subtle warmth remained. A tear fell from my cheek, 'My beautiful daughter...You're going to be okay...Mother's here.'.

I felt Jin's hand on my shoulder, "It's okay Marina. She's going to be okay. It's just a matter of time." I weakly smiled at him, "Thanks Jin." He flinched, "H-how do you know my name?". My eyes widened, "W-well, you are a very famous group." He cracked a dry laugh, "Ah haha. Thank you."

I looked at Y/N, 'Jin's wrong. She'll die at this rate. If I don't save her now...she'll actually never wake up and be completely forgotten. I can't let that happen! Not under the hands of that man!'. My fists clenched, "I'm so sorry BTS but could you leave the room for while? I would like some alone time with Y/N...". I looked at them apologetically but they just grinned, "No worries Marina." and left one by one. "You've done well my sons. Farewell..." I whispered in a low breath as the door closed.

"Y/N, Mother's going to save you." I placed my hand on her cheek and began chanting as a golden glare enveloped our bodies. I heard my mirror's voice, "Mistress, are you willing to sacrifice your life for that girl?" I smiled and kissed Y/N on the forehead.

"Of course."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Readers,

Thank you so much for reading~~ ♥ ♥ ♥ Hope everyone's having a great day!

- Euphoria_Within