Counting On Jaeger

"Salute!" The man yelled as you stood in line with the others. "I'm Section Commander Ness and this is Charrette." The man stroked the horse's face as he greeted you. "Oh my god, she looks just like you." You whispered to Jean and he rolled his eyes. "Charrette likes to pull hair, so watch out if you don't want to go bald. It's nice to meet you." As soon as Ness looked away, the horse craned it's neck, biting onto the cloth wrapped around Ness' head.

You all stood, still saluting as you watched Ness struggle to get Ness to let go. You tried holding in your laugh, a small smile curling onto your face. Training had just started and it already looked like it was going to be fun.

The next part was the classroom portion, which was terribly boring. Your eyes kept closing and opening as you stared at the front of the room. Ness stood there with a wooden pointer in his hand as he instructed the class.

On the board was Erwin's long range scouting formation. It wasn't too complicated, but it was something you definitely needed to pay attention to. "You rookies will be here." Ness pointed at a position further up in the formation. "You will run alongside spare horses and relay signals."

Ness stepped back and you quickly scribbled it down on your paper. Out of boredom, you had begun to draw the faces of your friends. Of course, Jean was there, but his face was more exaggerated to look like a horse. "I don't look like that." Jean took his pencil, scribbling your drawing out. "Mhm yeah."

You walked in the middle of the group, right by Connie and Sasha. "Hey! Mikasa! Armin!" You heard a familiar voice call and you looked behind you to see Mikasa and Armin stopping. You immediately recognized Eren as he came running up to his friends. "Come on, it's Eren!" Connie pulled on your sleeve as everyone else stopped to look at him.

Mikasa and Eren were talking and you could get a glimpse of her face, which was scary. You knew Mikasa could be scary, which is why you made a note to not get on her bad side. "Long time no see Eren!" Sasha smiled and waved at Eren. "You're all here!" Eren scanned the faces of his classmates and his eyes laid on you.

You gave him a small smile and his eyes went back to the others. "Does that mean you joined the scouts?" Eren sounded almost sad that you were all there. "Then just Jean, Annie and Marco joined the Military Police?" You winced at the mention of Marco's name. His face had never left your head ever since the news.

Right behind Eren, Jean and a group of other rookies came up behind him. Eren turned around to face Jean. "Wait, you too?!" Jean looked Eren dead in the eyes, his eyes filled with pain. "Marco's dead." Jena's eyes quickly looked at you as you lowered your head.

"Huh? What did you just say?" Eren's eyes widened as he stepped closer to Jean. "Apparently not everyone can die in a dramatic way. I don't even know how he went out. He died all alone." A tear dripped down your face as Jean continued to talk.

"Marco's... dead." Eren's eyes were blank as he stared at Jean's feet. "Hey rookies! Your uniforms are here!" You heard Ness yelling a little ways from the crowd. You all turned and headed over to the man, who was holding the Survey Corps capes.

You all lined up to grab the capes. Once it was your turn, you picked up the green cape with the Wings of Freedom symbol. The cape was soft in your hands, and a little heavy.

You moved out of the way, unfolding the cape and whipping it around your shoulders. The cape landed on your shoulders and you clasped the front. You turned around to see your classmates putting on their capes as well. The day had come that you were officially a Survey Corps member.

"We're going to be part of the operation." Mikasa and Eren were talking as everyone stood around. You were sitting on a wooden crate, your legs pull up, crossed over each other. "Hey, Eren. I heard you tried to kill Mikasa when you turned into a titan." You shook your head as Jean brought up the Trost Operation.

"It wasn't like-" "I wasn't asking you." Jean interrupted Mikasa and turned back to Eren. "Actually Mikasa, that cut on your cheek looks pretty deep. When did you get it?" Mikasa turned away as Jean pointed out the cut.

You slowly stood up from the crate, but still away from the group. Eren's head titled down. "It's true. Apparently I tried to kill her in titan form."

"Apparently? You don't remember?" Jean's voice got a little bit louder, drawing more attention from the other rookies. "So you didn't know about your ability until now and you can't control it?" Eren nodded his head as his eyebrows furrowed.

You frowned, thinking back to that day they sealed the gate. Seeing Eren's titan form for the first time seemed almost impossible, but yet he was standing before you, alive. "Hear that guys? Sounds like this is our current situation. Our lives rest on his shoulders. We'll end up dead like Marco, dead before Eren knows it." Jean looked back at the group that was listening.

"Jean. What's the point in chastising Eren now?" Mikasa spoke up. "You know Mikasa... Not everyone is willing to needlessly die for Eren like you. We should know what we're laying down our lives for. Show us what you're worth, so we can see if our lives are worth as much."

You watched as Jean whipped around, storming towards Eren. You moved towards Jean, but you stopped yourself. Jean placed his hands on Eren's shoulders, squeezing him tightly. "So, Eren. We're really counting on you, you hear?!"