Night of the End

You sat across the table from Hange, your hand sitting on your lap as Jean and Mikasa sat beside you. "Levi's in bad shape, but alive. He won't be fighting anytime soon." Hange said as they looked between the three of you. "We've joined forces with some stragglers from Marley, including the Cart Titan."

"All to stop Eren. Genocide is wrong." Hange waited for a reply from you guys as you just stared blankly ahead. "How will you stop him?" Mikasa asked Hange, her face as serious as ever. "First, we need more allies. Our options depend on who we can get. But we can't do anything without you guys and more of the nine. The old military has fallen apart so I'm no longer your superior. But I'm asking-"

"I'll do it." Mikasa interrupted Hange and you all looked up at her. "I won't let Eren kill any more than he already has. I have to stop him, even if he's doing it to protect us and the island." The room was silent as Mikasa looked down at her hands. You knew the last thing she wanted to do was go against Eren.

"Supposing that we make Eren stop, what then? He only has the founding Titan for four more years. What will happen after that?" Jean asked as he stared out the window of the small building. "If we continue to be the target of the world' hatred for years to come, stopping Eren means out island will be destroyed." You could feel Jean's tension as you sat beside him.

"The way I see it, Marley thinks we'll use the rumbling as soon as we're attacked. I think they'll leave us alone, at least for the time being." Hange replied to Jean as he refused to make eye contact with them. "If we don't destroy the island for good, who knows when they'll destroy us. It'll stir up the world more than Tybur's speech!" Jean clenched his teeth as he recalled the words of William Tybur's speech in Marley.

"You're probably right, but it should buy the island at least a few more years." Hange looked at Jean and then you. You slowly slid your hand onto Jean's lap as you could feel his frustration rising. "We've already wasted years looking for answers, and it got us nowhere!" Jean shouted and his eyes widened as he looked at Hange.

"Genocide is wrong!" Hange slammed their fist on the table, quieting Jean. Hange stared down at the table as their eyes wavered. "I'll be damned before we justify if somehow!" You sat there quietly as you watched Hange straightened themselves out. "Sorry for raising my voice. Jean's right. My dumb, wishful thinking forced Eren to do this. And despite all my yapping, I ran away from the problem. Wanting to forget everything, just wanting to live." Hange clenched their fist as they stared at the floor. "But I'm still the Commander of the scouts. It feels like those who gave their hearts for humanity's freedom are watching me. Most of them died without knowing humanity existed outside the walls."

You lowered your head as you tried to keep yourself together. Hange's voice was emotional as they spoke to you three. "I'm sure none of them would be so self-centered as to say, as long as the island has freedom, that's all that matters. Our only chance to stop the slaughter, is now." Hange's eye was filled with sorry as they looked to their side.

You looked up, seeing Jean turning his attention to the side of the room. For a split second you thought of Marco. The boy who gave you hope when everything went south, and he never got to make it as far as you and Jean. "Hange. I am forever a scout."

Your eyes stayed glued to the pot of potatoes that sat in front of Hange. There was a large amount of tension in the air as you stood beside Jean in the presence of the Marleyans. "Wanna stop glaring at each other and lend me a hand?" Hange asked as they held a potato and knife in their hand.

"Sharing a meal with enemies of war. I'm curious, what changed your mind?" The Marleyan soldier asked as he sat beside the Cart titan. "If you let Eren succeed, you'll get your ideal world, a paradise for island devils. We would've stopped Eren and Zeke from coming into contact had you guys not helped them." You glared at the soldier as he looked between all of you.