The Founding Titan

2 Years Later

"This shit- Is. Heavy." You panted as you carried the pieces of wood down the railroad. There were beads of sweat running down your face as the sun shone in your eyes. "Just drop it right there, Y/N!" Connie yelled out to you and you let the pieces of wood fall out of your hands and onto the dirt ground.

"Is this... something... they really needed us to do?!" Jean shouted as he hammered the wood into the ground. Connie and Him were banging away, one after another. "Nope. We wouldn't be doing it if that idiot Eren hadn't brought it up to Hange two years ago."

Jean stopped hammering and stood up to look over at Eren. You spotted Sasha chasing after Armin as he carried the bucket of water. You wiped the sweat off your face and walked up to Jean and Connie. "We're grasping at straws here trying to avoid the rumbling and save Historia."

Jean turned to you as you approached them. "Yeah, but whatever-" "Hey!" You were interrupted by the sound of Hange's voice. You turned to see them coming down the railroad on their horse. You all moved towards Hange as they stepped off of their horse. "Man, you're all working hard in this heat!"

Hange smiled as they looked around at everyone. "Unbelievable. You're all growing so damn big." Lev scoffed as he looked up at Connie as he stood next to him. "The Azumabitos sent their reply." Hange turned to Eren. That's right. The clan who wanted to form an alliance with Paradis. The clan Mikasa was a descendant of.

"And? What did they say?" Eren's eyes widened as he leaned in towards Hange. "No good. Looks like we can't turn to Hizuru." Hange shook their head and you all let out a sigh. "It seems they want to monopolize Paradis Island's resources. They won't help us trade with others. The world wants Paradis island to be the root of evil."

You hung your head down low and leaned up against Jean. He slowly took off his hat as you all listened to Hange. "So, we've got no choice but to rely on the rumbling and sacrifice Historia?" Eren said as he clenched his fists. "You're kidding!" They decided we're devils without knowing our intentions!" You looked over at Armin, who was just as frustrated as Eren.

"They fear us because they don't know what we are." Mikasa said and you nodded your head in agreement. "They won't trust people whose faces they haven't seen. So let's meet them! If you don't understand something, go figure it out!" Hange spread out their arms and Levi glared at them.

"Make a base in Marley and infiltrate, huh?" Jean said as he leaned against the walls of the wagon. Your head was resting on his shoulder as his arm hung around you. "I'll be able to chow down on real Marleyan cuisine!" Sasha smiled brightly as she stared off into space.

"What should I bring? It would stink to get the runs." Connie leaned back, looking up into the skin as the sun had began to set.

"Did you even hear Hange's plan?" Mikasa asked as she looked at the two. "If the world knows that we want peace, maybe something will change." Armin spoke from the front of the wagon. "If only we had more time. I've got just over five years left." Eren said as he stared at his feet.

"We're going to have to decide who inherits my titan soon." Eren lifted his head to look at all of you. "I will." Mikasa said bluntly. "Not you. We still don't know what the Ackermans are. And won't hurt any plans with Hizuru if you become a titan?" Jean spoke to Mikasa and paused for a minute. "Then who will?" Mikasa asked as she looked at Jean.

"Me. First of all, I'm way smarter then Eren. Instead of a suicidal maniac, you'll have a gifted leader who shows good judgment in all situations. I hate getting an Eren hand-me-down, but who better than me?" You slid your hand onto Jean's thigh and gripped it tightly. "Jean." You hated the idea of him inheriting the titan, as well as the curse of Ymir.

"Jean. You should be a regiment leader. I don't want to lose you in 13 years." You said softly as you sat up and looked at him. "I'll inherit the titan. It works out good, right?" Connie said as he looked between you and Jean. "That's not good at all. You're an idiot. We can't leave such an important role to an idiot." Sasha said and Connie stared blankly at her.

"Eh?" Connie said as Sasha rubbed the back of her neck. "I'll inherit it. I've got combat experience. I'm someone you can trust. It's got to be me." Sasha placed her hands on her hips proudly. "Isn't that weird though> You said an idiot's not fit for the role. You're more of an idiot than I am, so you're contradicting yourself."

You chuckled at Connie's remark, but couldn't help but feel saddened. "I don't want any of you guys to inherit it." Eren spoke up and everyone turned to him. "Why not?" You asked as you leaned forward. "Because you're important to me. More than anyone else. So, I want you to live long lives."

It was silent as everyone looked at Eren. You could see the sadness on his face. He looked exhausted and you couldn't blame him. You leaned back on Jean, just for him to shout. "Huh?! What are you turning red for?! The hell kind of mood is this?!" Jean pointed to Eren and you looked at him to see his cheeks turning bright red.

"Jean. It's the sunset. It's makes our faces red." You pressed your hand to his cheeks as they turned bright red as well. "Oh." Jean smirked as he looked over at you, pressing his hand to your cheek. "Disgusting." Connie muttered as he crossed his arms and turned away from you two.

"Oh shut it Connie." You stuck your tongue out at him and sunk into Jean's arm. You sat there for a minute, cherishing the small moment you had with your comrades, where there wasn't hell breaking loose around you.