The Future

"Shit, I'm going to be late." You skidded to a halt as you approached the large wooden door at the end of the hall. You lightly knocked on the door before entering the room. "Y/N. You're late." You looked up to see Levi standing in the corner of the room, a tea cup grasped by the tips of his fingers.

"I'm so sorry. Training went over today." You gave a small bow to him and Hange as you sat down at an empty chair. Jean was shaking his head as he looked over ta you. You rolled your eyes as Levi and Hange sat down. Hange cleared their throat as they sat at the head of the table.

"We believe a ship from Marley is heading this way. We have already made arrangements for where we will meet the ship." Hange's eyes scanned the room to look at the faces. "Levi's squad, as well as my squad will be there to intercept the ship. We must not make it known that we are there."

Hange looked to Levi, but he sat silently as his eyes traveled from one person to the next. "Right. We'll set off in a couple of days, so be prepared. Y/N. While you're gone someone will fulfil your duties of training. jean, I hope you get that paper work done soon." Hange smiled and stood up from the table.

"That is all I have to say. The squads will be briefed later. Dismissed." Hange waved their hand and you stood up from the table. "That was a short meeting." Jean pushed his hair back as he approached you. "Yeah." You walked with him out of the room and down the hallway.

"You've got to get better with being on time." Jean eyed you as he wrapped his arm around your shoulder. "I know. I'm really trying, but I just want to make sure the recruits are prepared." You let out a sigh as you passed by the windows that looked out into the courtyard.

"Fuck, you're more stressed than me." Jean patted your head and pulled you in for a kiss. "How about we destress outside? I got all the paperwork done, so I'm free." Jean pulled on your hand, guiding you to the door, leading out to the courtyard. He kept a hold of your hand as he walked with you towards the center, where a bench sat.

Jean sat down on the bench and had you sit on the end, slowly pushing you down so that your head rested on his lap. Your back was pressed to the warm bench as you stared up at Jean's face. Since the events following the Shinganshina District mission, Jean had certainly changed.

You frowned as you looked up at him to see his exhausted face. "Do you ever think about the future? Like what will happen if we do succeed in getting rid of titans?" You asked and Jean looked down at you. "I try not to think about it often. It seems as though there is no future outside of these walls."

You clicked your tongue and grabbed onto Jean's chin. The small facial hairs stabbed your finger tips as you lowered his head to look at you. "I'm saying what if? You have to have some sort of dream." You let go of Jean's chin as he began to think. "I've always wanted to have a kid. Just one is perfect, but never in this world. I just want to drink and enjoy my days." Jean rested his hand on your head and began to play with your hair.

"What about you? You never talk about yourself or the future." You nodded and looked up at the clouds passing by above you. "I don't want too much. Just for all this to end, feel like I can be proud of something, you know? Make sure my friends didn't die for nothing." Jean gave you a bitter smile and stopped stroking your hair.

"We've made it closer to the end. You've already made something of yourself, being a commanding officer and all." Jean leaned over and left a wet kiss on your forehead. "Yeah, I just hope all of this wasn't for nothing."